+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT0171 Physical Presence Questionnaire

kathysrazor

Star Member
Oct 25, 2020
Hello,

Found this in my old FOIA/ATIP requests, and figured I'd post it in case anyone is curious. This is the enhanced physical presence questionnaire that is used sometimes. It has some extra questions, including other countries you are a PR of, or applying to. It requires the addresses for foreign travel, whether your family was with you, tax assessments and property, where your close family members live, domestic and foreign property ownership, and health records.

https://pdfhost.io/v/loD~c0GUa_CIT_0171_Canada_Physical_Presence_Questionnaire_022017_ENG.pdf

Reactions: dpenabill

dpenabill

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2010
Hello,

Found this in my old FOIA/ATIP requests, and figured I'd post it in case anyone is curious. This is the enhanced physical presence questionnaire that is used sometimes. It has some extra questions, including other countries you are a PR of, or applying to. It requires the addresses for foreign travel, whether your family was with you, tax assessments and property, where your close family members live, domestic and foreign property ownership, and health records.

https://pdfhost.io/v/loD~c0GUa_CIT_0171_Canada_Physical_Presence_Questionnaire_022017_ENG.pdf
Thank you:

While there is almost certainly a more recent version of the Residence Questionnaire CIT 0171, thank you for providing this. Even though it is a version from February 2017 it is more recent than any of the other versions I have a copy of and there are some important changes. (Anyone who reads much of what I post knows that residency related issues are among my primary interests.)

Some observations:

This is the Residence Questionnaire used in the citizenship application process, which many of us refer to as "full-blown RQ," in contrast to other non-routine processing involving requests for residency/presence information, such as the CIT 0520, known as "RQ-Lite."

Have not seen any reports that this particular form (including other versions) is used in regards to PR Residency Obligation examinations. But of course very similar information and documents can be requested in a PR RO examination. That is, technically this form has nothing to do with this part of the forum, regarding PRs, being rather about the citizenship application process, BUT nonetheless illuminates what information and documents IRCC considers to be relevant when evaluating residency/presence in Canada.

Thus, even though it is obviously, technically, out-of-date in some very specific respects (most notably it refers to the physical presence requirement of 1460 days within a six year period which was replaced later that year, in 2017, with the 3/5 rule, the 1095 days within five years), it is nonetheless very useful information.

It warrants noting that other than changes directly related to elements which have changed, like the physical presence requirement, its core requests for information and documents are consistent with versions of RQ dating back many years. After all, what constitutes evidence showing where a person has been is not something that changes over time.

One key aspect of the changes to RQ over the years, which actually dates back to 2012 or 2013 (for sure the October 2013 version, but without digging through old folders I believe this dates back to the April 2012 version), is the request to include detailed information about where immediate family members were living during the relevant time period. One of the differences between the October 2013 version and this 2017 version is that for this section of the RQ it explicitly asks where family members have "lived/spent most of their time" during the relevant period, clarifying that just disclosing the address a person might use as their residential or "primary" residence address is NOT sufficient.

I have not done a line-by-line comparison between versions, so cannot say I have identified every respect in which this version differs from previous versions (I will do this, sooner than later, but not this morning). But in any event, anyway, it would be prudent to avoid reading too much into the precise terms used or documents specifically referenced. The purpose for which RQ, or a comparable procedure regarding PR RO compliance, is used is not complicated, and the PR's obligation in providing the requested information is likewise fairly straight-forward. There is one prudent approach: be open, be honest. That is, in addition to being truthful do not be evasive or misleading . . . remembering that some true statements can nonetheless be misleading or even outright deceptive. That is, dishonesty is not limited to prevarication, but encompasses equivocation or other methods of evading the truth OF WHAT MATTERS.