+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0520 date looming but FOIA too slow, advice on how to proceed?

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
I am in need of some advice, please. I'm an American citizen living in BC. I wrote and passed my exam on July 28, 2015, and was given the 520 form with only a 30-day deadline to provide support for the two overnight trips to the usa that I took in my qualification period. I am old rules, and didn't declare any of the dozens of day trips as I have a mailbox, one loan, and do a fair bit of shopping still as we live right on the border.
The officer didn't think she could proceed without those two measly dates despite them only being 3 days and no affecting my qualification.
As I'm a usa citizen, I don't get passport stamps, and I use a nexus card most of the time for crossings. These were all by car.
FOIA is in and I have an account, but they are estimating Sep 1 for completion.
What should I do regarding informing the CIC of this delay?thank you!

janoo

May 16, 2014
Hi.. Send them a letter stating that you have already take action and requested the
record from FOAI meantime the question date any proof you have forward to them
and hopefully they will accept make sure that your send the reply by courier and get
the sign copy back from them... important otherwise your case will be close.

Also attached the letter which you send to get USA record this might help as well.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
eeeeeeeelectric said:
I am in need of some advice, please. I'm an American citizen living in BC. I wrote and passed my exam on July 28, 2015, and was given the 520 form with only a 30-day deadline to provide support for the two overnight trips to the usa that I took in my qualification period. I am old rules, and didn't declare any of the dozens of day trips as I have a mailbox, one loan, and do a fair bit of shopping still as we live right on the border.
The officer didn't think she could proceed without those two measly dates despite them only being 3 days and no affecting my qualification.
As I'm a usa citizen, I don't get passport stamps, and I use a nexus card most of the time for crossings. These were all by car.
FOIA is in and I have an account, but they are estimating Sep 1 for completion.
What should I do regarding informing the CIC of this delay?thank you!
Usually the estimated date on FOIA is just approximate. For some people it took less than a week to get FOIA records. For some people it took less than a month and for some people it took many months. For myself, I ordered the FOIA for my personal records, I got it within less than 20 days. Hopefully you will get your records soon.

chris cool

Jun 10, 2010
usually they send the report very soon once the account is opened. I received it in less than two weeks, i requested for my day trips as well for my Nexus entries. Unfortunately they didn't list any of my day trips which i crossed through land crossing. All it shows are my flight travel with nexus & i-94 details.

I was planning to submit one more request (this time around providing my Nexus details only). Does anyone received the border crossing details via land using Nexus? Just curious!

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
chris cool said:
usually they send the report very soon once the account is opened. I received it in less than two weeks, i requested for my day trips as well for my Nexus entries. Unfortunately they didn't list any of my day trips which i crossed through land crossing. All it shows are my flight travel with nexus & i-94 details.

I was planning to submit one more request (this time around providing my Nexus details only). Does anyone received the border crossing details via land using Nexus? Just curious!
I requested my USA entry/exits few months back for my personal records and I had uploaded the copies of my passport and nexus card and I have received the report with all entries into USA. My i94 was missing one entry but FOIA records had all the entries.

Did you select "I94" from the dropdown or "Entry/Exit" under the section "Types of Records Requested" when you submitted your FOIA?

chris cool

Jun 10, 2010
Thank you, for the the details. I don't remember what i selected though. I'll try to submit a new request and select the I94 this time around and see what comes back.

thecoolguysam

VIP Member
May 25, 2011
Canada
chris cool said:
Thank you, for the the details. I don't remember what i selected though. I'll try to submit a new request and select the I94 this time around and see what comes back.
I have selected "Entry/Exit" from the drop down menu under the section "Types of Records Requested". That's how I have got all complete records.

I think if you select "I94" from the drop down menu, you will get the same records that you can access from the following website:
https://i94.cbp.dhs.gov/
That's what I assume but I am not too sure about it.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
I tried i94. But I'm a USA citizen. They don't track that for me? If I submit a new request, do I need to withdraw the first one? Thanks.

eeeeeeeelectric

Mar 20, 2011
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Surrey
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
20-05-2011
AOR Received.
05-07-2011
Med's Done....
15-03-2011
Interview........
28-07-2015
Passport Req..
1-16-2012
VISA ISSUED...
1-19-2012
LANDED..........
1-21-2012
Thanks, everyone. I called the number on the 520 form, and they said the same thing. No closure of file as long as I show I'm trying to comply. The officer at my interview didn't indicate that I would have an RQ as long as they can verify my 3 claimed overnight dates once they receive the records, and that I should get my oath letter thereafter. I'm sending a couriered signature receipt envelope with my back up screen grabs (recommended here and by the kind agent on the CIC phone line) for both the failed i94 request and the Assigned but not in process FOIA request.

Crossing my hopeful fingers!