+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIT 0001 or CIT 0003 form differences? (minor applying for citizenship)

jor689

Jul 22, 2016
I'm trying to apply canadian citizenship for my 6 year old daughter.

I was born in Canada in 1976 and have lived in the USA for 15 years. I am a US green card holder (permanent resident) and my wife is a US citizen.

I was looking at getting our daughter Canadian citizenship and looking at the website, i'm a little confused about using the CIT-0001 or the CIT-0003 form. they are similar and didn't know which one to use?

She was born in 2011, after April 2009 (Which seems to be an important distinction?). She was born in South Korea and my wife and I adopted her, went through the US customs process (very loooooooong) and she has a US passport.

Thanks for you help

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jor689 said:
I'm trying to apply canadian citizenship for my 6 year old daughter.

I was born in Canada in 1976 and have lived in the USA for 15 years. I am a US green card holder (permanent resident) and my wife is a US citizen.

I was looking at getting our daughter Canadian citizenship and looking at the website, i'm a little confused about using the CIT-0001 or the CIT-0003 form. they are similar and didn't know which one to use?

She was born in 2011, after April 2009 (Which seems to be an important distinction?). She was born in South Korea and my wife and I adopted her, went through the US customs process (very loooooooong) and she has a US passport.
CIT 0001 doesn't apply to your situation, as your child is not yet a Canadian citizen.

You have two possible paths - http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/rules_2009/adoption.asp.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
jor689 said:
isn't the fact that i'm a canadian citizen automatically make her a canadian citizen?
jor689 said:
and i was born in canada, not in a foreign country?
No. As per the link, you need to apply for a grant of citizenship or sponsorship. Adoption isn't the same process as a child born to you.

It doesn't matter where you were born.

jor689

Jul 22, 2016
Citizenship law and adoption
If you are a Canadian citizen who plans to or has already adopted a child outside Canada, changes to citizenship law could affect you and your child. This depends on how your adopted child obtained—or will obtain—his or her citizenship.

Understanding the change
Recent legislative changes impact Canadian parents’ ability to pass on citizenship to children they adopt who are born outside Canada.

Children adopted outside Canada
Children born outside Canada who are adopted by Canadian parents have two routes to citizenship.

Route #1: Citizenship by grant through direct route.

Children who were born outside Canada and adopted, can become citizens without having to immigrate to Canada. However, at least one of the adopting parents must have been a Canadian citizen at the time of the adoption,
or for adoptions that took place prior to January 1, 1947, the person had to have at least one adoptive parent who became a Canadian citizen on January 1, 1947 (or April 1, 1949, in the case of Newfoundland and Labrador for adoptions that took place prior to April 1, 1949); and who is eligible to pass on citizenship by descent.

Adopted people who become citizens through the direct route are limited in their ability to pass citizenship to their own children as a result of the first generation limit to citizenship by descent, unless the other parent is eligible to pass on citizenship.

Under the direct route, adopted persons will not be able to:

pass on their citizenship to any children he or she later has outside Canada; or
apply for a direct grant for any foreign born children he or she later adopts, unless the other adoptive parent is a Canadian citizen who is eligible to pass on Canadian citizenship by descent.
Learn more about who can apply for the citizenship process.

Refer to section below on “Exception to the first generation limit to citizenship for adopted persons

jor689

Jul 22, 2016
I was born in canada, 1st generation canadian. that means she is a canadian citizen. just checked with an attorney.