+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Circumstances after visa delay

Me_chhetri

Jan 14, 2018
I have applied for jan intake. My classes start from 22 jan 2017. If I get visa after that date will I allow to join classes in next intake? (which is in September). I have already submitted my medical reports.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
No. If you do not attend the classes for 90 days your study visa will be cancelled. When did you apply for visa?

Me_chhetri

Jan 14, 2018
No. If you do not attend the classes for 90 days your study visa will be cancelled. When did you apply for visa?
I applied on November for jan intake. But waiting for high commission response regarding visa. College will send me another letter for next intake which is in September.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
The CIC website says you can change schools or program without changing study permit, but I think if you change the date you will have to apply for a new study permit. If the date for the January intake passes, make sure you leave enough time when applying again. When I applied for my study permit for September intake, I applied 3 months in advance to make sure.

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Even if I get visa do I need to re apply?
If you applied for the visa on the basis you were starting in January, and you don't start in January, the college/university usually contacts the CIC stating you are not studying. If that happens your study visa will be cancelled after 90 as you have not started studying. So yes you will need to reapply if you don't meet these conditions.

kruzie

Dec 9, 2017
Hey I got approved for study permit on Jan 10 and it takes 15 days more to get my passport stamp. My classes were supposed to start on Jan 8 but I defer it for may . Will my visa expire in that case? My offer letter says it’s valid for 3 intakes. When I contacted university they said that I can come on May.

Last edited:

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
Hey I got approved for study permit on Jan 10 and it takes 15 days more to get my passport stamp. My classes were supposed to start on Jan 8 but I defer it for may . Will my visa expire in that case? My offer letter says it’s valid for 3 intakes. When I contacted university they said that I can come on May.
See above comment. This applies to you also. CIC issues study permit, University only provides offer letter.

kruzie

Dec 9, 2017
See above comment. This applies to you also. CIC issues study permit, University only provides offer letter.
Yes but my question is even University is okay if I am deferring my course for May. In that case will University report that I am not attending?

russ6970

VIP Member
Sep 14, 2017
Newfoundland
Category........
FAM
LANDED..........
31-12-2020
University is ok about deferring and that is fine, but your visa starts january. You are not studying until May, therefore your study permit would be invalid. Your visa will be cancelled due to you not studying from the time you stated on your original visa.

kruzie

Dec 9, 2017
Thank you! That make sense. But what should I do now? Because I have submitted my passport for stamp. How could I again contact CIC and let them know I am attending on May!