+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIMA (UK) to CPA Canada (CPA-PREP)

username27

Apr 4, 2012
Hi All,
I am a permanent resident in Canada and I expect my wife will be in Canada in four months or so. She has an Information Technology degree outside Canada and completed strategic level of CIMA (Chartered Institute of Management Accountants-UK). After some Googling, we found that CPA Ontario is a good option for her to pursue in Canada. Anyone in a similar situation or has suggestions ?
I looked at CPA-PREP program and they need her transcript to be submitted. We can submit the transcript for IT degree but for the CIMA she has not completed yet. So how to verify and get exemptions for the subjects that she has already taken in CIMA.
Thanks in advance.

next2015

Nov 18, 2014
Hi
If she hasn't completed the CIMA, then she'll most likely be advised to do the CPA academic program from a beginner's level, since her background is not in business/accounting. Unfortunately, none of the provincial bodies accept exam results from outside Canada; they only accept a designation, which they base on to determine what requirements you need to fulfill to obtain a provincial CPA designation. This I know following my personal research on the subject, as a CPA candidate in the US.

It may be smarter if she completed her CIMA first and obtained the designation - assuming she has the work experience already (if work experience is required). Additionally, I am assuming her preparation for the exam has been through prep programs NOT standard business school which come with credits? If that is so, then the more reason for her to complete the designation first as they do not evaluate prep courses/programs. They only give consideration to programs that are measured (credit hours), which as you know are only done by institutions of higher learning in the form of diplomas, degrees etc. So only her IT degree will be evaluated and any other measurable qualifications she may have.

You may contact CPA Ontario for first-hand guidance, but I think its better for her to complete the CIMA in the UK. Keep in mind, the process of obtaining a designation in Canada is incredibly long - it is easier if one already has a designation from outside Canada in which case only a reciprocal exam and canadian work experience may be required of you. In such a situation you only have to find work, build the required hours of experience and earn some money while at it. Again, feel free to contact CPA Ontario, may be things have changed...

Reactions: Puneet200384

username27

Apr 4, 2012
Hi next2015,
Thanks for your reply. She does not have the relevant experience (3 years needed). Hence, even if she passes the final exam, she will not get the CIMA qualified designation instead she can be CIMA passed finalist only. So, we do not have an option to pass the exam and get the designation.

We will contact the CPA Ontario and see whether she can get any exemption based on her CIMA transcript for the current courses completed.

Reactions: Puneet200384

rifiel

Star Member
May 17, 2012
Hello,

This may be coming late. I'm aware that CIMA UK has got a mutual recognition agreement (MRA) with CMA Canada, which is still in effect. Although the merger/unification may make things difficult. Can she get the ACMA designation from CIMA and then apply for the Canadian CPA CMA designation? That's of course If she has the mandatory 3years experience.

Cheers!!

Neharika24

Dec 17, 2017
I am a chartered accountancy student final level from India. I have completed bcom and CA inter and has 3 years of work experience and 3 years of articleship.will I be exempt from prep ???

Puneet200384

Jul 21, 2018
Hi username27

did you get through the process of getting a CPA ontario designation ?, can you please share more details/update on your experience please.

can you what are eligibility requirement to obtain CPA designation after you have completed TOPCIMA

I am also a TOPCIMA passed finalist and I wish to apply for CPA Ontario designation now.
Thanks

Saabbir91

Sep 28, 2018
Hi
If she hasn't completed the CIMA, then she'll most likely be advised to do the CPA academic program from a beginner's level, since her background is not in business/accounting. Unfortunately, none of the provincial bodies accept exam results from outside Canada; they only accept a designation, which they base on to determine what requirements you need to fulfill to obtain a provincial CPA designation. This I know following my personal research on the subject, as a CPA candidate in the US.

It may be smarter if she completed her CIMA first and obtained the designation - assuming she has the work experience already (if work experience is required). Additionally, I am assuming her preparation for the exam has been through prep programs NOT standard business school which come with credits? If that is so, then the more reason for her to complete the designation first as they do not evaluate prep courses/programs. They only give consideration to programs that are measured (credit hours), which as you know are only done by institutions of higher learning in the form of diplomas, degrees etc. So only her IT degree will be evaluated and any other measurable qualifications she may have.

You may contact CPA Ontario for first-hand guidance, but I think its better for her to complete the CIMA in the UK. Keep in mind, the process of obtaining a designation in Canada is incredibly long - it is easier if one already has a designation from outside Canada in which case only a reciprocal exam and canadian work experience may be required of you. In such a situation you only have to find work, build the required hours of experience and earn some money while at it. Again, feel free to contact CPA Ontario, may be things have changed...

1.What about the process of CIMA's Avd Dip WES evaluation? What documents are require to send to WES for this?
2.In Bangladesh we don't have any CIMA Office, From where I should take my CIMA Certificates India/U.K?
3.I have Bachelor or Business from a local Bangladeshi University (4 years program) + Adv Dip CIMA which will be my status in Point Calculation in CIC: Three year or More Post Secondary Credential / Two or more post secondary Credentials
4.With CIMA Adv Dip can I apply for PNP's NOC 1111/1112 (Finance/Accounting related NOC)

Salah19

Dec 26, 2018
Hi

I am a CIMA member under the Global C-Suite Finance Program. I was exempted from giving all exams directly gave the strategic case study exam and cleared it. I am a member in good standing with CIMA. Can someone confirm if I am eligible for CPA canada , CMA canada membership under the mutual recognition agreement (MRA) between the two bodies?

ParagMore

Sep 22, 2019
Someone please revert on the situation above. CIMA member becoming CGMA with direct entry at Strategic level case study exam. Will he get CPA Canada membership or atleast some exemptions..

stoics

Oct 2, 2018
Someone please help, on this situation. CIMA member becoming CGMA with direct entry at Strategic level case study exam. Will he get CPA Canada membership or atleast significant exemptions?.

Ashsha

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Hi next2015,
Thanks for your reply. She does not have the relevant experience (3 years needed). Hence, even if she passes the final exam, she will not get the CIMA qualified designation instead she can be CIMA passed finalist only. So, we do not have an option to pass the exam and get the designation.

We will contact the CPA Ontario and see whether she can get any exemption based on her CIMA transcript for the current courses completed.
Hiii,,
please update on this... how did it go?. Currently in the same situation.

Ashsha

Star Member
Oct 10, 2018
Hi username27

did you get through the process of getting a CPA ontario designation ?, can you please share more details/update on your experience please.

can you what are eligibility requirement to obtain CPA designation after you have completed TOPCIMA

I am also a TOPCIMA passed finalist and I wish to apply for CPA Ontario designation now.
Thanks
Any updates?