+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC some good and bad news for 2014 applicants !!!

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
Chantal Desloges ‏@Twimmigration 26 Nov

At Law Society immigration conference. Good news - citizenship dept making procedural changes to try and reduce backlogs.

Retweeted by Citizenship RQ Delay

Citizenship knowledge tests will soon be administered by third party examination centres, thereby making it easier and faster to sit the test.

Chantal Desloges ‏@Twimmigration 23h
@pfang2 As I said before, it's SPECULATION that those changes will be made. All we know is a Bill is likely 2 B tabled during this session.

@pfang2 We don't know but suspect they may increase required residence period from 3/4 yrs to 4/6 yrs. Also remove ctz by birth on soil.

@malicku It's all speculation right now. We don't know what the reforms will be.

polarbear

Sep 17, 2012
If test is conducted by third party, then what about the interview?

when and how they will do interview and passport stamps checking?

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
3rd party testing carried out in other 'comparable' countries e.g. UK but the problem to be overcome is fraud - how do you make sure the person doing the test is the actual applicant? This especially an issue where collusion between test administration and those taking tests occurs - just look at driving schools/ examiners and note how often its apparent people that shouldn't pass the test get a DL!

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Msafiri said:
3rd party testing carried out in other 'comparable' countries e.g. UK but the problem to be overcome is fraud - how do you make sure the person doing the test is the actual applicant? This especially an issue where collusion between test administration and those taking tests occurs - just look at driving schools/ examiners and note how often its apparent people that shouldn't pass the test get a DL!
hey Msafiri,

Do we have anything formal or formal prediction that the residency time is going to increase from 3 years? Can you shed some light on this one. I could not find anything on this one. My wife is eligible for citizenship on March 27/2014 - do you think this changes will come into play before then - just need your personal thoughts. I believe that the residency changes from 3 years need changes in legislature (Citizenship Act, Section 5) - and i think these changes will take a lot of time. Do you agree?

Thanks for clarifying this and for your thoughts. Have a nice weekend,

Cheers

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sept15 said:
hey Msafiri,

Do we have anything formal or formal prediction that the residency time is going to increase from 3 years? Can you shed some light on this one. I could not find anything on this one. My wife is eligible for citizenship on March 27/2014 - do you think this changes will come into play before then - just need your personal thoughts. I believe that the residency changes from 3 years need changes in legislature (Citizenship Act, Section 5) - and i think these changes will take a lot of time. Do you agree?

Thanks for clarifying this and for your thoughts. Have a nice weekend,

Cheers
I believe if this change should be valid in 2014, it will only apply to new PR applicants and not those who are waiting currently to apply. To my knowledge, any changes in Canada to a system only applies to the new applicants not to put the previous ones in a disadvantage.

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Farrous, I would respectfully disagree. The new laws (once proclaimed) will apply to anyone applying for 'Citizenship' and it has no connection on when you became a PR. For example, once proclaimed, the rules will be like: if you wish to apply for citizenship, you have to a PR for so and so years in the past so and so years... but I do understand that what you mean and that is a possibility as well... you may be right as well but i see it at a different angle.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
farrous13 said:
I believe if this change should be valid in 2014, it will only apply to new PR applicants and not those who are waiting currently to apply. To my knowledge, any changes in Canada to a system only applies to the new applicants not to put the previous ones in a disadvantage.
The new rules will only apply to new CITIZENSHIP applications. If you don't have a citizenship application already submitted when the new rules are implemented, then the new rules will apply to you. It won't matter when you became a PR.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
scylla said:
The new rules will only apply to new CITIZENSHIP applications. If you don't have a citizenship application already submitted when the new rules are implemented, then the new rules will apply to you. It won't matter when you became a PR.
If that's true it will be really disappointing to lost of applicants (including my wife who is in line to apply; one year to go for her).

EasyRider

Oct 12, 2008
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone has an idea of a timeframe when this bill will be tabled? I know it's likely to happen in this parliament session, but it can last for another year or so.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
farrous13 said:
If that's true it will be really disappointing to lost of applicants (including my wife who is in line to apply; one year to go for her).
We don't know for certain if any new rules are going to be implemented. However if they are, they will definitely be applied to any net new citizenship applications - because that's how CIC always manages these types of changes. What matter is if your application has been submitted yet or not. If it has - then old rules. If not - then new rules.

farrous13

Oct 1, 2013
Montreal
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
polarbear said:
Chantal Desloges ‏ @ Twimmigration 26 Nov

At Law Society immigration conference. Good news - citizenship dept making procedural changes to try and reduce backlogs.

Retweeted by Citizenship RQ Delay

Citizenship knowledge tests will soon be administered by third party examination centres, thereby making it easier and faster to sit the test.

Chantal Desloges ‏ @ Twimmigration 23h
@ pfang2 As I said before, it's SPECULATION that those changes will be made. All we know is a Bill is likely 2 B tabled during this session.

@ pfang2 We don't know but suspect they may increase required residence period from 3/4 yrs to 4/6 yrs. Also remove ctz by birth on soil.

@ malicku It's all speculation right now. We don't know what the reforms will be.
What does the he/she mean by the above bold part?

sept15

Champion Member
Sep 26, 2010
Canada
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
hahaha - that is funny and I wondered as well. Is Canada removing Birth Rights... That is never going to happen. I just ignored that. Good catch.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
farrous13 said:
Anyone born in Canada with limited exceptions (e.g. at least one parent is a diplomat as per Protocol Listing) is a Canadian Citizen. This is known as the Jus Solis principle i.e citizenship by birth on the soil/land. Very few countries have this anymore due to a view that it encourages citizenship tourism where boatloads, plane loads etc of pregnant 'foreigners' travel to the country to give birth. Canada wants to join the no group on this and require at least one parent to have PR as a minimum.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Msafiri said:
Canada wants to join the no group on this and require at least one parent to have PR as a minimum.
Agreed. This is what the tweet means. Being born in Canada will no longer make you a citizen automatically - you'll also need to have at least one parent that is either a Canadian citizen or PR.

Whether this change will actually be made is anyone's guess.