+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

CIC confused? where can i find the answer? passport about dual citizen.

www0517

May 22, 2011
I called CIC serveral times, and no one can give a certain answer!!!!
and the Government of Canada passport issuing office in Guangzhou, China never pick up the phone call!!!

Case:
I have two daughter both born in HK and own HK passport.
first proved her Canadian citizenship without CA's passport.
second one just have HK passport.

we are plan to back to CA in May.
1. For first baby, Can I just apply special authorization instead of apply a new passport?
You can apply for a special authorization that, if approved, will allow you to board your flight with your valid non-Canadian passport.
See Dual Canadian citizens need a Canadian passport.
For future travel, make sure to travel with a Canadian passport. Apply soon. It can take time to get a Canadian passport.
2. For second baby, as she have not prove as Canadian, so just use her HK passport with ETA?

thank you guys.

links18

Champion Member
Feb 1, 2006
Are both your daughters Canadian? Canadian citizens are not supposed to apply for ETA. See here:

https://travel.gc.ca/travelling/documents/dual-citizenship

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
www0517 said:
I have two daughter both born in HK and own HK passport.
first proved her Canadian citizenship without CA's passport.
second one just have HK passport.

we are plan to back to CA in May.
1. For first baby, Can I just apply special authorization instead of apply a new passport?
2. For second baby, as she have not prove as Canadian, so just use her HK passport with ETA?
1. It will most likely be faster to apply urgently for a Canadian passport than to apply for a Facilitation visa.

2. She is still Canadian and therefore doesn't qualify for an eTA. You would have to lie in the eTA application. As she is under the age of 2, you can apply concurrently for a Certificate of Citizenship and a limited validity Canadian passport.