Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
This is a weird question but how often does CIC call a previous or current employer to verify aspects of the employment reference letter? Is this something that happens fairly routinely or only very rarely?

I ask because I want to request an employment letter from my employer but I'm thinking of claiming it is for US immigration (self-petitioned green card application [NIW]) even though it's actually for Canada PR. I realize this is somewhat dishonest but, as with many applicants here, I work in the type of place where showing any serious intent to move out of the country will be interpreted almost the same way as asking for a reference letter for a new job you're applying for. Okay maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but it will definitely be met with fairly intense scrutiny. So how much of a risk is this course of action, based on how frequently CIC actually contacts employers to verify details of the reference letter? There is nothing about my employer (a large, well-established state university in the US), or my position, that would trigger suspicion in a CIC officer, so it really doesn't seem likely that they would waste resources to call my employer, unless it's something they routinely do. I just wanted to check if this is the case.
Thanks all!

DEEPCUR

Champion Member
Apr 12, 2016
They don't verify 99% of the time, but you just cannot count on that. They call seeing red flags, but sometimes they do random calls to any application too.. may be for audit or for something else.

How about submitting a co-worker/supervisor affidavit along with letter provided by university with same set of job duties? You could say that you have used the letter provided by the university for your green card purposes and you got a letter from co-worker or manger for Canadian PR. If CIC wants they can reach out your co-worker/manager.

OdinNguyen

Mar 30, 2017
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all,
This is a weird question but how often does CIC call a previous or current employer to verify aspects of the employment reference letter? Is this something that happens fairly routinely or only very rarely?

I ask because I want to request an employment letter from my employer but I'm thinking of claiming it is for US immigration (self-petitioned green card application [NIW]) even though it's actually for Canada PR. I realize this is somewhat dishonest but, as with many applicants here, I work in the type of place where showing any serious intent to move out of the country will be interpreted almost the same way as asking for a reference letter for a new job you're applying for. Okay maybe that's a bit of an exaggeration but it will definitely be met with fairly intense scrutiny. So how much of a risk is this course of action, based on how frequently CIC actually contacts employers to verify details of the reference letter? There is nothing about my employer (a large, well-established state university in the US), or my position, that would trigger suspicion in a CIC officer, so it really doesn't seem likely that they would waste resources to call my employer, unless it's something they routinely do. I just wanted to check if this is the case.
Thanks all!
How about telling them that Trump wont give you the PR so you need to move on?

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Hi all,

Thanks all!
No one knows. They do call sometimes. All you can do is go ahead and worry about it later if it happens, as for now you have nothing but to hope that you are among the majority where cic doesnt call. As long as your file is clear and papers are legit you should be ok. Good luck

mgnlky

Champion Member
Jan 22, 2016
Vancouver
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Ottawa
NOC Code......
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
22-12-2016
AOR Received.
22-12-2016
Med's Done....
04-11-2016
Passport Req..
22-3-2017
LANDED..........
04-09-2017
If they can generally prove you work where you say you did, they tend to not call. Example, if they can find your profile on LinkedIn & see you have a lot of co-workers from work as connections/endorsements, they're likely to be satisfied that you work there.

moose17

Jun 30, 2017
No one knows. They do call sometimes. All you can do is go ahead and worry about it later if it happens, as for now you have nothing but to hope that you are among the majority where cic doesnt call. As long as your file is clear and papers are legit you should be ok. Good luck
This is how we're feeling. It's scary but at the same time, if we get to that point we'd probably be pretty far along in the process (in other words, would be leaving soon enough anyway pending the other documentation being approved) so if it happens we may as well 'fess up and probably try to blow it off as just something we had a chance to go for so we did and act iffy about the whole thing. They wouldn't know everything involved so it would hopefully seem plausible, and they wouldn't need to know how serious we actually are about this.

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
This is how we're feeling. It's scary but at the same time, if we get to that point we'd probably be pretty far along in the process (in other words, would be leaving soon enough anyway pending the other documentation being approved) so if it happens we may as well 'fess up and probably try to blow it off as just something we had a chance to go for so we did and act iffy about the whole thing. They wouldn't know everything involved so it would hopefully seem plausible, and they wouldn't need to know how serious we actually are about this.
Very true. Most of the time, such calls happen at the end by you local visa office, when your file is being reviewed by a visa officer to give the final approval. So yes you by then you should be very close to leaving anyways. Good luck :)

crescent_jam

Aug 21, 2017
Jamaica
Category........
FSW
Visa Office......
Kingston, Jamaica
NOC Code......
AOR Received.
14-09-2017
Passport Req..
17-10-2017
VISA ISSUED...
26-10-2017
LANDED..........
19-01-2018
I think a lot of persons are in this situation. I luckily work in my HR department and knew the one manager I could trust to keep it a secret and not use it against me, so I had her sign my letter. If there are several members of your HR Department, maybe ask around and do some 'covert' research to try to determine who the most trustworthy person there is, and then ask them to assist you and keep it confidential (technically, as HR professionals, they should be keeping the request confidential anyway, but the world unfortunately isn't perfect).

A 'properly structured' and therefore 'legitimate-looking' letter should have an addressee, and if you tell them it's for the US, they might address it for the US Government, which wouldn't really work for you, since it's not really for them :)

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Thanks crescent_jam I wasn't aware that reference letters have to be explicitly addressed to CIC

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
They don't verify 99% of the time, but you just cannot count on that. They call seeing red flags, but sometimes they do random calls to any application too.. may be for audit or for something else.

How about submitting a co-worker/supervisor affidavit along with letter provided by university with same set of job duties? You could say that you have used the letter provided by the university for your green card purposes and you got a letter from co-worker or manger for Canadian PR. If CIC wants they can reach out your co-worker/manager.
Thanks DEEPCUR that sounds like a great idea!

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Very true. Most of the time, such calls happen at the end by you local visa office, when your file is being reviewed by a visa officer to give the final approval. So yes you by then you should be very close to leaving anyways. Good luck :)
I agree, one definitely has more leeway by the time the application reaches that stage

dr feras

Champion Member
Jan 27, 2013
Thanks crescent_jam I wasn't aware that reference letters have to be explicitly addressed to CIC
Btw, my two reference letters were not addressed to cic, they were addressed ( to whom it may concern). My pcc had ( study abroad ) written as the purpose of issuing. By bank refused to give me a letter, so i decided to go ahead with only bank statements and to help show cic I am being honest, I also declared to them my credit card balance and payments even when I was advised not to disclose it by members here.
I lived my life in a scattered situation stranded between many places to call home, causing my documents to legally have my id number sometimes, my temporary travel documents number sometimes, and I had a lot of these, one per year, so you can imagine the mess. But with good explanation, and submitting proof of every single document I had, plus the fact that I visited canada before and showed my good intentions and followed the law till the time I left all helped.
I had divorce started after ITA and got it done within the 90 days timeline given by cic. I convinced my ex to do my son's medical when they are both in another country.
I was approved. They never asked me for clarification or a single additional document.
Bottom line is, we can all do it, and it can go better than we expect.
All the best

gailmargolis

Star Member
Mar 25, 2017
US
Category........
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Btw, my two reference letters were not addressed to cic, they were addressed ( to whom it may concern). My pcc had ( study abroad ) written as the purpose of issuing. By bank refused to give me a letter, so i decided to go ahead with only bank statements and to help show cic I am being honest, I also declared to them my credit card balance and payments even when I was advised not to disclose it by members here.
I lived my life in a scattered situation stranded between many places to call home, causing my documents to legally have my id number sometimes, my temporary travel documents number sometimes, and I had a lot of these, one per year, so you can imagine the mess. But with good explanation, and submitting proof of every single document I had, plus the fact that I visited canada before and showed my good intentions and followed the law till the time I left all helped.
I had divorce started after ITA and got it done within the 90 days timeline given by cic. I convinced my ex to do my son's medical when they are both in another country.
I was approved. They never asked me for clarification or a single additional document.
Bottom line is, we can all do it, and it can go better than we expect.
All the best
Thank you dr feras your situation gives me hope!

rajoth21

Jan 20, 2018
Thanks DEEPCUR that sounds like a great idea!
Hello gailmargolis,

Did you get your PR approved? and did you know the CIC called your employer? I am in same exact situation as you including the employer I work for matches with your profile. Could you please help me? And I did submit the application with a letter for US green card purposes but it was not mentioned in the letter, and an affidavit from a colleague. Please let me know if CIC called your HR. Thanks in advance.