+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Chinese document

cicada

May 23, 2017
Hi there,
I am the sponsored person. I am from China. on the checking list show I need to provide " copies of national identity cards, if issued by your country of citizenship or residence.
  • I have Chinese national identify cards, but all chinese on the card, do i need to translate to english by myself or should i ask someone translate for me?
  • I also have BC residence card, i am living in Canada now, do i need to make copy of my BC residence card as well?
  • All the Chinese document need to be translate, but i do not know where should i go to ask for translation, or should i just translate by myself?

podaSK

Star Member
Mar 10, 2016
Category........
Visa Office......
Hong Kong
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
02-08-2016
AOR Received.
26-08-2016
Passport Req..
16-11-2016
VISA ISSUED...
24-11-2016
LANDED..........
04-12-2016
Hi cicada,

Unfortunately, you cannot do the translation yourself. According to the guide (IMM 5289): "Translations must not be done by the applicants themselves nor by members of the applicant’s family. This includes a parent, guardian, sibling, spouse, common-law partner, conjugal partner, grandparent, child, aunt, uncle, niece, nephew and first cousin." In addition to the translation, you also need an affidavit from the person who completed the translation and a certified copy of the original document.

When I sponsored my wife (who is also from China) we did this at the local Open Door Society, a non-profit that provides services to immigrants. They were able to do everything - translation, certification of the original document, and sworn affidavit from the translator. We had her national ID, hukou, Chinese criminal record check, and some proof of relationship stuff done there. A quick google search makes me think that the Open Door Society is a Saskatchewan thing, but perhaps there is a similar agency in BC with a different name. If you can find such an agency, that would be really convenient since in our case they could do everything at once and being a non-profit it wasn't too costly. There were also limited options for us to do this locally, but I would imagine there would be more options for you depending on where you are in BC.

I am not sure about the BC residence card.

oceanfish

May 17, 2018
Hi there,
I am the sponsored person. I am from China. on the checking list show I need to provide " copies of national identity cards, if issued by your country of citizenship or residence.
  • I have Chinese national identify cards, but all chinese on the card, do i need to translate to english by myself or should i ask someone translate for me?
  • I also have BC residence card, i am living in Canada now, do i need to make copy of my BC residence card as well?
  • All the Chinese document need to be translate, but i do not know where should i go to ask for translation, or should i just translate by myself?
I think you are supposed to hire a registered translation company to do that for you. Also you would need to get the translated copies officially notarized, if I am not wrong...