+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

China Applicants Thread

HTYZ

Oct 25, 2013
Hey guys so i just received the passport request!!! (finally after rprf requested in early december)

So I've read that usually after ppr, the chances of refusal is significantly lower (i.e., if they were gonna reject you or interview you they wouldnt request fir passport)

Anybody have experience or heard stories about rejection after ppr?

Im normally a rational person but after getting the ppr last night at 4am, so excited that I couldnt sleep...and I need some reassurance about the ppr! Need to know the likelihood of success/rejection after ppr to plan the wifey's arrival!

Also anybody know how long the copr lasts for? Gotta start preparing!

Thanks all and hope you guys have a lovely day!

Cathy645

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
AOR Received.
01-08-2014
File Transfer...
01-08-2014. (AOR2. 26-09-2014)
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
19-10-2014 (Received by VO 02-11-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-10-2014 (Decision made 07-11-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014 (received COPR 13-11-2014)
LANDED..........
15-11-2014 (landed at border in Osoyoos)
HTYZ said:
Hey guys so i just received the passport request!!! (finally after rprf requested in early december)

So I've read that usually after ppr, the chances of refusal is significantly lower (i.e., if they were gonna reject you or interview you they wouldnt request fir passport)

Im normally a rational person but after getting the ppr last night at 4am, so excited that I couldnt sleep...and I need some reassurance about the ppr! Need to know the likelihood of success/rejection after ppr to plan the wifey's arrival!

Congratulations !

It is very unlikely to get rejected when you get PPR. At least it has never happened from Beijing VO.

I am sure it's time for you to prepare wifey's arrival.

You have to land in Canada before medical expiry date if your medical is not extended by CIC.

Cheers!

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
24-Feb-2014, SponsorshipApproved 01-Apr-2014
File Transfer...
01-Apr-2014 Officially rec'd Beijing 24-May-2014
Med's Done....
29-Dec-2013 "Medical Results rec'd" 01-Apr-2014
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
HTYZ said:

Congratulations! I concur with Cathy645's response. My wife's COPR states that her medical was valid until 2014/12/30, which coincides the actual visa expiry date (in her passport) of 2014/12/30

The COPR doesn't "expire" - you should hang onto to that forever, of course. She'll need it for just about everything government related ::)

avaloncomm

Dec 29, 2014
Congrats HTYZ.

May I know your timeline please?

I've been applied my wife in Shanghai since beginning of Sept, 2014. Received SA on Oct 24 and haven't heard anything from VO in Beijing since then. I am checking the status on ECAS everyday with status still showing "application received". frustrated :mad:. It seems like Beijing VO have been slowing down the last couple months. Does anyone know if this is normal? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
avaloncomm said:
Congrats HTYZ.

I've been applied my wife in Shanghai since beginning of Sept, 2014. Received SA on Oct 24 and haven't heard anything from VO in Beijing since then. I am checking the status on ECAS everyday with status still showing "application received". frustrated :mad:. It seems like Beijing VO have been slowing down the last couple months. Does anyone know if this is normal? Any input would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Hello avaloncomm,

Check out some of the spreadsheets linked with various applicants in this thread, and I think you'll feel better about your timeline -which looks very normal from what you've listed.. One thing that was helpful to us in the 10 month wait was getting the GCMS notes - how to request the GCMS notes here; (http://cectoolkit.weebly.com/faqs/what-does-gcms-stand-for-how-do-i-apply) - takes 30 days to receive..

hang in there 8)

avaloncomm

Dec 29, 2014
Thanks for your advise ABC. So do I need to upload any kinds of documents i.e passports to apply for GMC notes.

Also, do every applicants receive AOR2 from Beijing VO or will they just issue a straight PR after files being transferred months after?

Thanks again for all your help.

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
avaloncomm said:
Thanks for your advise ABC. So do I need to upload any kinds of documents i.e passports to apply for GMC notes.

Also, do every applicants receive AOR2 from Beijing VO or will they just issue a straight PR after files being transferred months after?

Thanks again for all your help.
That link for "GCMS" notes (which has some additional links) in my last post gives some very good overall instructions ;) - you'll need to upload a signed "consent form" from your spouse.

My wife received a AOR2 notice from Beijing when the application was officially received there. Most updates can be seen on your ECAS https://services3.cic.gc.ca/ecas/ECAS.jsp
...though often the posted info lags behind the actual timeline

HTYZ

Oct 25, 2013
avaloncomm said:
Congrats HTYZ.

Thanks.
Hey i applied June 2014

Received sponsorship approval end of july 2014

Application received by beijing sept 2014 (ecas show "in process")

Request for pr fee dec 2014 (didnt know i can pay it all at first, would totally do that if i knew)

Finally got passport request feb 2015

Did not request gcsm notes

Now gonna send passport and hope to get copr soon...and in my passport request, shows that the visa validity is may 14 2015, the time when medicals would expire within the year

Hope it helps and hope i get copr soon!!

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
HTYZ said:
Hey i applied June 2014

Received sponsorship approval end of july 2014

Application received by beijing sept 2014 (ecas show "in process")

Request for pr fee dec 2014 (didnt know i can pay it all at first, would totally do that if i knew)

Finally got passport request feb 2015

Did not request gcsm notes

Now gonna send passport and hope to get copr soon...and in my passport request, shows that the visa validity is may 14 2015, the time when medicals would expire within the year

Hope it helps and hope i get copr soon!!
Other than one 'two week wait' I noticed that 3-4 weeks is about the quickest turnaround for COPR, after PPR (via courier, that is) - based on the spreadsheets for [and with] Beijing [listed appls] Though in my perusing the spreadsheet situation, it's a ghost town of a deserted mess out there :eek: So it's not easy to know for certain.

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
I plan on submitting the passport unsolicited after receiving AOR2. I'll include the AOR2 letter and another page or two of photos showing that I returned to China next week for 春节(spring festival aka Chinese new year) and met even more of her relatives, having already submitted photos of myself with her brother and her folks. It worked out fine for me to submit the medical directly to Beijing last month unsolicited by Beijing VO: a few days later her e-CAS changed to medical results have been received.

They of course don't want everyone submitting a passport that has not yet been asked for. They'd rather not have the bother of people pleading for it to be sent back so that they can travel while waiting after their file ended up taking another 9 months instead of another 2 or 3 months. And some may need it to travel to a interview. But in our case, she doesn't need it again in 2015, and she can fly domestically to Beijing with her 身份证(national ID card).

I don't think an interview is likely in our case, as she's met a couple dozen of my relatives (as indicated in wedding/reception photos), they can see from reading some of our SMS/QQ/WeChat messages we can talk about all the important stuff by both writing Chinese (I've studied the language at a couple different institutions in China), they can see from copies of our passport pages we've done a lot of travel together (USA twice, Mexico, Cayman Islands, South Korea), and we've lived in the same city for most of a year (I provided a copy of my Chinese residence permit). I'm more than a little bit older, but still on side the half your age plus 7 rule and I don't think anyone looking at us would think either is out of the other's league. The only real red flag for us is that she was rejected for a temporary resident visa last May, and we got married just a couple months after that. I think it would make a world of difference, though, if she had been rejected before she met me. It was my idea to have her meet my friends in my home town in Canada, and would have fit logically into our international travel and the stage in our relationship. It seems unnatural to me to get married and NOT have first visited each other's home countries and home towns (unless both have been living in the same country for many years). I've noticed that other people who have talked about their GCMS notes said a rejected TRV application is routinely flagged, but an officer will often write "genuine relationship" in regard to that point when the context of the rejection is similar to ours, which suggests that when the intention for going to Canada is clearly to see one's current spouse that is not generally an issue.

Kysorb

Star Member
Apr 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
APR 2, 2014
AOR Received.
MAY 22, 2014
File Transfer...
MAY 26, 2014 <br>AOR2 Received: SEP 9, 2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
SEP 24, 2014 <br>Decision Made: OCT 13, 2014
VISA ISSUED...
OCT 18, 2014
LANDED..........
NOV 10, 2014
avaloncomm said:
Congrats HTYZ.

Thanks.

Have a look at the spreadsheet (link in my signature) and be sure to add yourself and keep it up to date it will help you and everyone in the future.

ABCml

Jan 27, 2014
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
21-Feb-2014
AOR Received.
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
Interview........
15-Dec-2014
Passport Req..
at interview
VISA ISSUED...
16-Dec-2014
LANDED..........
25-Dec-2014
BrianDell said:
I plan on submitting the passport unsolicited after receiving AOR2. I'll include the AOR2 letter and another page or two of photos showing that I returned to China next week for 春节(spring festival aka Chinese new year) and met even more of her relatives, having already submitted photos of myself with her brother and her folks. It worked out fine for me to submit the medical directly to Beijing last month unsolicited by Beijing VO: a few days later her e-CAS changed to medical results have been received.

They of course don't want everyone submitting a passport that has not yet been asked for. They'd rather not have the bother of people pleading for it to be sent back so that they can travel while waiting after their file ended up taking another 9 months instead of another 2 or 3 months. And some may need it to travel to a interview. But in our case, she doesn't need it again in 2015, and she can fly domestically to Beijing with her 身份证(national ID card).

I don't think an interview is likely in our case, as she's met a couple dozen of my relatives (as indicated in wedding/reception photos), they can see from reading some of our SMS/QQ/WeChat messages we can talk about all the important stuff by both writing Chinese (I've studied the language at a couple different institutions in China), they can see from copies of our passport pages we've done a lot of travel together (USA twice, Mexico, Cayman Islands, South Korea), and we've lived in the same city for most of a year (I provided a copy of my Chinese residence permit). I'm more than a little bit older, but still on side the half your age plus 7 rule and I don't think anyone looking at us would think either is out of the other's league. The only real red flag for us is that she was rejected for a temporary resident visa last May, and we got married just a couple months after that. I think it would make a world of difference, though, if she had been rejected before she met me. It was my idea to have her meet my friends in my home town in Canada, and would have fit logically into our international travel and the stage in our relationship. It seems unnatural to me to get married and NOT have first visited each other's home countries and home towns (unless both have been living in the same country for many years). I've noticed that other people who have talked about their GCMS notes said a rejected TRV application is routinely flagged, but an officer will often write "genuine relationship" in regard to that point when the context of the rejection is similar to ours, which suggests that when the intention for going to Canada is clearly to see one's current spouse that is not generally an issue.
Very informative post here, Brian. I completely agree and relate with your take on TRV's.., as we also were one of those "rejected" - and also a mere 2 months prior to getting married. With our final GCMS notes, the officer concluded the file with stating that she was satisfied that ours is a "genuine relationship" - so maybe the rejected TRV played some part of the overall equation of assessing this - not sure..

I got a kick out of your formula, "half your age plus 7 rule..," I've never heard this before 8) - does it work for both genders (in any relationship combination?) ;D

firevincen

Jan 17, 2013
Cathy645 said:
Welcome to China Application Thread !

Congratulations on getting PR so fast! Hope your PR card will be In Process soon!
Hi Cathy645, it's been almost four months and I still can't see her PR Card column yet. Is this normal? We called them back in January and they said it's their delay and we just have to wait.

Cathy645

Star Member
Jul 4, 2013
BC
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
09-06-2014
AOR Received.
01-08-2014
File Transfer...
01-08-2014. (AOR2. 26-09-2014)
Med's Request
14-10-2014
Med's Done....
19-10-2014 (Received by VO 02-11-2014)
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
14-10-2014 (Decision made 07-11-2014)
VISA ISSUED...
04-11-2014 (received COPR 13-11-2014)
LANDED..........
15-11-2014 (landed at border in Osoyoos)
firevincen said:
Hi Cathy645, it's been almost four months and I still can't see her PR Card column yet. Is this normal? We called them back in January and they said it's their delay and we just have to wait.
Hi sorry to know you haven't got your PR card yet. I don't think it's normal. You should call CIC again because different agent on the phone could tell you different thing.

You also should find out by phone call why it hasn't shown anything about PR card processing On ECAS.

Good luck

BrianDell

Star Member
Jan 3, 2014
Category........
Visa Office......
Beijing
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
17 Oct 2014
AOR Received.
1 Jan 2015
File Transfer...
6 Jan 2015<br>IP 3 June 2015
Med's Done....
9 Jan 2015
Passport Req..
17 June 2015
VISA ISSUED...
1 Aug 2015 (delivered)
LANDED..........
11 Aug 2015 in Edmonton
I gave more details about our relationship because I thought it would make my timeline much more useful to others. Someone's reported experience as to milestones might not mean much if their situation is very different and the only thing in common is having the same overseas visa office.

There's some Wikipedia discussion of the half age plus 7 rule in the article on age disparity, although personally I think it needs a cap of 18 years regardless of how advanced in age the couple is. It doesn't seem right to have been an adult for any length of time while one's partner wasn't even yet a baby. It least for me anyway!

I am going to prepare an update of our relationship she can send together with the passport to Beijing. A page of photos of our time together on a trip a few months after filing and some common local train tickets with our ID numbers on them, plus my reservation for yet another trip to her country in a couple months time.

You may have heard that since about last November Chinese are now being issued 10 year multiyear tourist visas to the US. That's not going to be every issuance, I'm sure, but I decided to get that in her passport now since applying for US visas is quite straightforward in China given the pick up at a local CITIC bank branch option. That should cover that off until she gets a Canadian passport.