+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children visitor visa expired

olijoy

Mar 9, 2019
Hi Everyone,

Please help me I dont know what to do anyone in similar situation please share your experience on this matter. My kids age 7 and 4 visitor record has expired last oct 25 2018 we just got our work permit renewed now april 10 2019 i thought my kids will be automatically under us and didnt need their own status. Its been way past 90 days to restore it what to do? We also have a pr on process at the moment. Please advise me what is the best way to deal with it. Thank you in advance!

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi Everyone,

Please help me I dont know what to do anyone in similar situation please share your experience on this matter. My kids age 7 and 4 visitor record has expired last oct 25 2018 we just got our work permit renewed now april 10 2019 i thought my kids will be automatically under us and didnt need their own status. Its been way past 90 days to restore it what to do? We also have a pr on process at the moment. Please advise me what is the best way to deal with it. Thank you in advance!
I had a similar question, I had not yet received my OWP but i thought I should ask, and I was told that once you have a work permit, your dependent child also gets status. They cannot travel outside Canada and re-enter if they don't have valid TRV, but they can remain in Canada and go to school.

When did you actually apply to renew your open your open work permit?

olijoy

Mar 9, 2019
Hi,
How will I do that by the border? I am willing to long drive that if thats the only way to make things right. I never have thought that we needed to renew their visas/record as they dont need study permit. I hope this will fix the problem. Thank you!

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Technically this creates lots of other problems. Technically they don't qualify for schooling if out of status although many school boards accept undocumented children. In many provinces the children wouldn't qualify for health after they went out of status.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi,
How will I do that by the border? I am willing to long drive that if thats the only way to make things right. I never have thought that we needed to renew their visas/record as they dont need study permit. I hope this will fix the problem. Thank you!
You probably have to. If they were initially in the work permit that expired, then you should have applied to extend their stay before it expired. I am not sure if flagpoling can work or not. Perhaps you can ask others with more experience like Bryanna, canuck_, and scylla

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You probably have to. If they were initially in the work permit that expired, then you should have applied to extend their stay before it expired. I am not sure if flagpoling can work or not. Perhaps you can ask others with more experience like Bryanna, canuck_, and scylla
Flagpoling is your best option although it comes with a slight risk because they don't have status and they don't have to give your kids visitor status. You should bring all the documents about your work permits and ask for visitor status to match the date of your work permits.
I would bring proof of employment and pay stubs just for extra proof that you are settled in Canada if possible. What province are you in?

Reactions: Eveslm

olijoy

Mar 9, 2019
Hi im from edmonton alberta, i guess the only option is going to the nearest border which is montana and bring all the documents required we are of nz citizen so I thought my kids automatically gets status as we are on work permit and have a pr application in process. I was caught offguard when I tried to renewed their provincial health card and was asking a visitor status for my kids thats why I came to know that i have a problem. I really hope this will solve it. It will be a long drive to reach the border but definitely is worth a try given thats the only solution. Thank you to all who responded!

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
Hi im from edmonton alberta, i guess the only option is going to the nearest border which is montana and bring all the documents required we are of nz citizen so I thought my kids automatically gets status as we are on work permit and have a pr application in process. I was caught offguard when I tried to renewed their provincial health card and was asking a visitor status for my kids thats why I came to know that i have a problem. I really hope this will solve it. It will be a long drive to reach the border but definitely is worth a try given thats the only solution. Thank you to all who responded!
I am glad i decided to apply to extend my daughter's status although i was also under the impression that a work permit gives them status as well. It can be very frustrating. All the best to you. Am in Edmonton as well

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017
I was also.of the impression that my daughter will have my status after 6 months. She is a US citizen and her passport was stamped when she arrived Canada in June 2018. I went across the border in October. On coming back I asked the immigration lady to please stamp my daughter's passport. She said she could stamp it after 6 months. She told me to get a visitors record till the duration of my work permit and I told her I had applied for PR and she was included. She then said that I should not bother.
3 weeks ago I was coming back from the UK and was transiting through Calgary airport. The immigration officer asked me for her visitors record and I said i was never given one. I explained to him what transpired at the land border in Vancouver. He asked if she was in school, I said yes. Health card? I said yes. He was shocked. Asked me how I got it. Told him I sent in a copy of her passport page and screen shot of my PR application showing my daughter as a dependent. Told him the school never asked me for her status. Requested for just my work permit. He then started laughing and said my daughter has been staying illegally in Canada. Told him I made sure we were going across the border often and she has never spent 6 months in Canada at a stretch. Said it didnt matter. It was still an overstay. He said he shouldn't but he will just help me. He issued me a visitors record even 1 year past my work permit for my daughter.
I never realized how lucky I was till I read about it here.
You never know who can help you. Thank God I was calm and smiling all the while he was questioning me.

ziastar

Sep 18, 2017
I and my wife got the business visitor visa to attend an exhibition in toronto but my wife could not join me because of kids (son 12 and daughter 17) as she does not want to leave kids alone in her absence so i travelled alone. Now we are thinking about to get the visas for kids and travel all jointly. I would be very grateful if some one guide me how to submit visa application and if there any special instructions for kids in visa application. (Best wishes,)

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
I was also.of the impression that my daughter will have my status after 6 months. She is a US citizen and her passport was stamped when she arrived Canada in June 2018. I went across the border in October. On coming back I asked the immigration lady to please stamp my daughter's passport. She said she could stamp it after 6 months. She told me to get a visitors record till the duration of my work permit and I told her I had applied for PR and she was included. She then said that I should not bother.
3 weeks ago I was coming back from the UK and was transiting through Calgary airport. The immigration officer asked me for her visitors record and I said i was never given one. I explained to him what transpired at the land border in Vancouver. He asked if she was in school, I said yes. Health card? I said yes. He was shocked. Asked me how I got it. Told him I sent in a copy of her passport page and screen shot of my PR application showing my daughter as a dependent. Told him the school never asked me for her status. Requested for just my work permit. He then started laughing and said my daughter has been staying illegally in Canada. Told him I made sure we were going across the border often and she has never spent 6 months in Canada at a stretch. Said it didnt matter. It was still an overstay. He said he shouldn't but he will just help me. He issued me a visitors record even 1 year past my work permit for my daughter.
I never realized how lucky I was till I read about it here.
You never know who can help you. Thank God I was calm and smiling all the while he was questioning me.
If your daughter was leaving and entering frequently, she was never illegal. Canada does not have a cumulative rule. Visitor status resets when a person leaves Canada. Every time she entered and did not receive a stamp, she was given 6 months of status.

Eveslm

Champion Member
Jun 21, 2018
Edmonton
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Mississauga
I and my wife got the business visitor visa to attend an exhibition in toronto but my wife could not join me because of kids (son 12 and daughter 17) as she does not want to leave kids alone in her absence so i travelled alone. Now we are thinking about to get the visas for kids and travel all jointly. I would be very grateful if some one guide me how to submit visa application and if there any special instructions for kids in visa application. (Best wishes,)
It's just the same as you applied for yours. Extra instructions are for minors travelling alone or with one parent who does not have full custody of them. If you can, apply online

Mesh2003

Sep 6, 2017
If your daughter was leaving and entering frequently, she was never illegal. Canada does not have a cumulative rule. Visitor status resets when a person leaves Canada. Every time she entered and did not receive a stamp, she was given 6 months of status.
That's my understanding also. I made sure she never spent 6 months without leaving. Was surprised he disputed it.

Dana Dan

Jul 13, 2021
Hi Everyone,

hello,
iam in the ame situation regarding my kids status and I have pr application in process? I just want to ask you did this affect your pr application and were you be able to solve your kids status before pr decision was made? where you able to restore kids status and how ? please please reply.