+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Children born outside canada

canuck1900

Oct 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi all

How long does it take to get a citizen certificate for a minor who was born outside of canada.

The child has a canadian father :)

Kind regards

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

canuck1900 said:
Hi all

How long does it take to get a citizen certificate for a minor who was born outside of canada.

The child has a canadian father :)

Kind regards
Depending on the office 5/6 months.

canuck1900

Oct 11, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Would I need to apply from outside the country or directly to Nova Scotia etc?

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can see the processing times here:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/times/canada/certif-processing.asp

From receipt of your application to final decision Total processing time 6 months

Note: If you live outside Canada and outside the United States and are applying through a Canadian embassy, high commission or consulate, add an additional 3 to 4 months to the total processing time.

If you are applying on behalf of a minor child residing outside Canada and outside the United States and the application is submitted directly to the Case Processing Centre in Sydney, Nova Scotia, add an additional 6 to 8 months to the total processing time.

So you see, if the child is located in Canada, you would apply through CPO - Sydney and get the certificate in 6 months. If the child is located outside Canada, you would be better off applying through a Canadian embassy with a processing time of 9-10 months. If the child is located outside Canada and you choose to apply through CPO - Sydney anyway, you can expect a processing time of 12 to 14 months.

If you are in a hurry, you can of course list reasons why you would need it sooner and hope that you would get it sooner but another alternative to get a child to Canada quickly is to apply for the certificate at an embassy and at the same time, show proof of travel and apply for a child's temporary passport or facilitation visa. However, if the child has a visa exempt passport, you would of course be able to bring it with you to Canada without a visa.

sunset66_71

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
ON
App. Filed.......
16-June-2016
PMM said:
Hi

Depending on the office 5/6 months.
Hi PMM,

I am a Canadian Citizen since August 2012. I applied for family sponsorship (wife + child) shortly after that date.

My question is: " once my family will become on permanent resident status and as far as physical presence does not apply on minors, will I be eligible to apply for citizenship for my minor child immediately after he will receive his PR card?"

Thanking you.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
sunset66_71 said:
I am a Canadian Citizen since August 2012. I applied for family sponsorship (wife + child) shortly after that date.

My question is: " once my family will become on permanent resident status and as far as physical presence does not apply on minors, will I be eligible to apply for citizenship for my minor child immediately after he will receive his PR card?"
Yes, since you are already a citizen yourself, you can apply for your child as soon as your child has PR.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
sunset66_71 said:
Hi PMM,

Thanking you.
Apologies for my now removed post, I missed the part where you said you were Canadian :).

sunset66_71

Star Member
Feb 2, 2012
ON
App. Filed.......
16-June-2016
canuck_in_uk said:
Apologies for my now removed post, I missed the part where you said you were Canadian :).
@ canuck_in_uk & Leon

Thanks buddies, I really appreciate your assistance.