+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

children are canadian citizens by birth right - include certificates?

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
June 9, 2011 Received in Buffalo
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
hello,

my husband (canadian-born citizen) is sponsoring me (american) and we have 2 children (born in the US). so our children are canadian citizens by birth-right. are there any supporting documents necessary to include for my children in our application (for example, their birth certificates, canadian citizen certificate -- do not have this yet) or do they just appear on Part 2's Additional Family Information page and that is it?

curious to hear what others have done. i am working so hard to get our application complete because my fbi clearance expires end of this month.

thanks in advance!

E

emmagail

My children are Irish born, to a Canadian mother and me,
I am applying inland, but the they are working on their citizen certs currently.

I have just put their citizenship down as Canadian+Irish, if they want more, I will drop it in to them (CIC is in my town), Your husbands passport will say place of birth - Canada, and they will know that they are canadian too...

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
thank you.
anyone else submit their children's birth certificates even though they were already canadian citizens and not part of your application?
i am in a pickle as i cannot find my son's and it will take 2 weeks to get a new one...and my fbi clearance will expire before then so i need to submit asap.

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi mala16

We were in a similar situation. My son was born in Australia to a Canadian citizen father. I wrote to my VO asking how I go about including my son on the application. This is the answer I received below. We also included his Australian birth certificate and informed them that we have applied for his citizenship card.

"You will need to put your son on the Imm5406 (Additional Family Information form) only. Your son does not need to complete a medical examination as he is not being sponsored. You are the only one who will need to complete the medical examination. Your husband will need to include your son on the Imm1344 as a dependent however no payment is required as you are the only one being sponsored. You may include with your application information stating that you are in the process of applying for Canadian citizenship for your son through your husband who is the Canadian"

Canooknic

Sep 20, 2010
England
Category........
Visa Office......
London
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
LANDED..........
17th May 2011
I sent copies of my boy's citizenship & canadian passport & birth certificate, but only because I had them to hand. I can't remember seeing anything that asked for them. Good luck, hope the process is completed quickly xx

Doiron

Apr 20, 2011
California to Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
18-02-2011
AOR Received.
18-05-2011
File Transfer...
16-03-2011
Med's Done....
27-01-2011
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
20-07-2011
hello! I am in a similar situation. My husband is Canadian born and I am an American Citizen (by birth). We have 3 children born in the USA, 8 yrs, 4 yrs, and 6 mos. We starting the immigration process by applying for the kids Canadian citizenship certificates from Local embassy in Los Angeles back in Nov. 2010. By Dec. 21 we were sent an AOR for the Certs for the kids. When we sent my application for permanent residence to Canada in Feb. 2011 we included the kids Full birth certificates and a copy of the AOR letter. Now that we have recieved the Certificate cards in Mar. 2011 I will send those to Buffalo as soon as I am issued a Client ID# so that Buffalo knows that I am the only one waiting on an answer from them. I have also applied/received my kids Canadian passports, much cheaper than USA ones. I am also sent off for their SIN Cards so my two older ones can start school ASAP for the new school year. Hope this helps!

canadianwoman

VIP Member
Nov 6, 2009
Category........
Visa Office......
Accra, Ghana
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
30-01-2008
Interview........
05-05-2009
mala16 said:
hello,

my husband (canadian-born citizen) is sponsoring me (american) and we have 2 children (born in the US). so our children are canadian citizens by birth-right. are there any supporting documents necessary to include for my children in our application (for example, their birth certificates, canadian citizen certificate -- do not have this yet) or do they just appear on Part 2's Additional Family Information page and that is it?

curious to hear what others have done. i am working so hard to get our application complete because my fbi clearance expires end of this month.
You don't need to send supporting documents for the kids because they are not being sponsored. But I would still send their birth certificates - to prove their relationship to you, the sponsored person, and to strengthen the evidence that your marriage is genuine - since you and the father have children together.

E

emmagail

Actually, its not as clear cut as thought:

http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/faq/citizenship/cit-rules-faq06.asp

depending on their age, might get messy

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
thanks for that link. had not seen that before.
my husband was born in Canada so my son (born in 2010) is ok in terms of what is stated there for this application (he does not need to be sponsored).
however, when my son has children, since he was born outside of canada to a canadian parent, then his children may not automatically be canadian by birth-right if they are born outside of Canada ....am i reading that right?
confusing....i agree!

on a side note...
i see where my two children need to be on the Part 2 Additional Family form....but where else should they appear? i do not see where it is applicable on 1344 like a previous posted indicated.

thanks again!

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
mala16 said:
on a side note...
i see where my two children need to be on the Part 2 Additional Family form....but where else should they appear? i do not see where it is applicable on 1344 like a previous posted indicated.

thanks again!
We put our son on page 2 of form 1344 - C3 - Accompanying dependant children of person in 1 or 2

mala16

Star Member
Apr 13, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
April 29, 2011
AOR Received.
July 25, 2011
File Transfer...
Med's Done....
April 21, 2011
Thanks TracyS!
Are your children already Canadian citizens like mine (born to a Canadian parent)?
If so, then I do not think they belong on 1344 Section C.
But i may be mistaken...

TracyS

Star Member
Jan 21, 2011
Category........
Visa Office......
Sydney
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-02-2011
AOR Received.
11-04-2011
File Transfer...
28-03-2011
Med's Done....
10-02-2011
Interview........
waived
Passport Req..
25-05-2011
VISA ISSUED...
22-06-2011
LANDED..........
10-09-2011
Hi Mala

Yes my son is a Canadian citizen born outside of Canada to a Canadian father. We were told to put him on that form and include an explanation to say that we are in the process of applying for our sons citizenship card. We have been approved for sponsorship and that form is part of the sponsor application. Hope that helps. :)