+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child sponsoring application question

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
I applied to sponsor my child last year right after my successful appeal. While the application was processing, I had to travel to take care of a terminally-ill family member. The application should be processing for another year and with my history with the IRCC (everything takes an extra long time), I thought we'll return before it is done processing. And just my luck, I received correspondence from the IRCC telling me they are finalizing the application and need proof of living in Canada for both me and the child to be submitted within 30 days. I wont be in Canada for at least another two months.

They already examined my sponsorship and it was approved. This is the final step (I guess) which is the child's permanent residence application.

Should I withdraw the application?
OR
Write a letter to explain the situation, state our intent to return very soon, and attach the hospital reports and such. I can provide statements too from family here and friends/neighbors in Canada (where we live).
I am only worried that they might report me if I told them I am abroad as I am a few months short on RO after the successful appeal.

What do you think is best?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you a PR or a citizen?

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
How long have you been outside of Canada?

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
How long have you been outside of Canada?
a few months.

As I said in my post, I had a successful appeal and they accepted my H&C reasons for falling short on my RO. Since then, I started accumulating physical presence days to make up for the shortage. But unfortunately, I had to leave before reaching 2 years of physical days. Now I am worried if I wrote a letter to explain my child's situation, I will be admitting the lack of days needed for my RO.

I should've posted this in the Residency Obligations board. Maybe I'll repost there.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
a few months.

As I said in my post, I had a successful appeal and they accepted my H&C reasons for falling short on my RO. Since then, I started accumulating physical presence days to make up for the shortage. But unfortunately, I had to leave before reaching 2 years of physical days. Now I am worried if I wrote a letter to explain my child's situation, I will be admitting the lack of days needed for my RO.

I should've posted this in the Residency Obligations board. Maybe I'll repost there.
It's not about lack of days needed for your RO. As a PR, you can only sponsor a family member when you are physically in Canada.
Your sponsorship applicant will be refused since you have been living outside of the country for months.

Reactions: zardoz

Lily2011

May 6, 2014
It's not about lack of days needed for your RO. As a PR, you can only sponsor a family member when you are physically in Canada.
Your sponsorship applicant will be refused since you have been living outside of the country for months.
That's what I thought. When I applied, I did not plan to leave anytime soon, but things happened then my lawyer mentioned that it is fine as long as I prove intent to come back. And he gave example of a client who filed to sponsor his spouse while he was not in Canada (filed from abroad then arrived later).

Now I'm not sure if he doesn't know what he's talking about or is it really a thing.

jomz

May 3, 2011
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-11-2013
AOR Received.
28-11-2013
File Transfer...
04-12-2013
Med's Done....
19-08-2013
Interview........
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
26-03-2014
LANDED..........
16-05-2014 inchallah
That's what I thought. When I applied, I did not plan to leave anytime soon, but things happened then my lawyer mentioned that it is fine as long as I prove intent to come back. And he gave example of a client who filed to sponsor his spouse while he was not in Canada (filed from abroad then arrived later).

Now I'm not sure if he doesn't know what he's talking about or is it really a thing.
It's only a "thing" if a person is a citizen. PRs have to continually live in Canada during the entire sponsorship process.

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

You don't currently meet the sponsorship eligibility criteria and your application should be refused, if the Visa Office is doing their job properly.