+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child PR sponsorship - Co-signer?

davn15

Star Member
Jan 6, 2022
Hi - I am sponsoring my 2 year old for PR as she was born outside Canada and after I received my PR. My question is do I need a co-signer on the application form if I have sufficient amount to sponsor her? Is it mandatory to add spouse as a co-signer?

Thank you.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi - I am sponsoring my 2 year old for PR as she was born outside Canada and after I received my PR. My question is do I need a co-signer on the application form if I have sufficient amount to sponsor her? Is it mandatory to add spouse as a co-signer?

Thank you.
Not mandatory. Fine to have only one parent sponsor. Only one parent being in Canada is probably the most common reason for one parent to sponsor but a co-signer is never required.

shafee786

Mar 14, 2024
Hi, am sponsoring my less than 1 year old kid who was born outside Canada, me and my wife are PR's. I came to canada for sponsoring my child and I have few questions
  1. If am not having my wife as a co-signer in IMM 1344 as she is in India taking care of my child , should i need to submit IMM 5604 asked in the document checklist, because anyways she will be accompanying my child once my child got the PR or Letter of explanation is enough stating that she will be accompanying my child ?
  2. Should I need to submit IMM 5476(Use of Representative form) if I , the father sponsoring my child ?