+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child PR pending - outland

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
Hi everyone! Really need some insight into the child sponsorship. Husband and I are PR holders but had our child in Dubai. We approached an agent who confirmed it’s possible to apply for baby’s PR without having to live in canada provided a valid explanation is given.We have submitted our details and LOE but we still haven’t received the payment link which will then lead us to start the PR process.
Can anyone confirm this is how it works and if there is any information on the processing of these applications? We filed papers in Nov 2020.

TIA

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hi everyone! Really need some insight into the child sponsorship. Husband and I are PR holders but had our child in Dubai. We approached an agent who confirmed it’s possible to apply for baby’s PR without having to live in canada provided a valid explanation is given.We have submitted our details and LOE but we still haven’t received the payment link which will then lead us to start the PR process.
Can anyone confirm this is how it works and if there is any information on the processing of these applications? We filed papers in Nov 2020.

TIA
Your agent was wrong and has given you bad information. As PRs, one or both of you would need to be in Canada to start the process, and remain a resident for most of the process. You can apply for TRV for the child and if granted, return with the child and sponsor from within Canada.

When you say you 'submitted details' what does this mean? Was your agent to have done so? What exactly was submitted? You would have had to sign quite a bit of documentation (and have paid something to government up-front).

Frankly agent sounds completely unaware of the actual process, reconsider working with this person.

Reactions: Buletruck

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
Your agent was wrong and has given you bad information. As PRs, one or both of you would need to be in Canada to start the process, and remain a resident for most of the process. You can apply for TRV for the child and if granted, return with the child and sponsor from within Canada.

When you say you 'submitted details' what does this mean? Was your agent to have done so? What exactly was submitted? You would have had to sign quite a bit of documentation (and have paid something to government up-front).

Frankly agent sounds completely unaware of the actual process, reconsider working with this person.
Thank you for you’re response. That was our understanding as well but he said that it’s possible since we are PRs. By details I mean he required for us to share the our passport details , pr card copies and baby’s birth Cert copies etc. He said that once this information is shared ( paper application) then CIC would review and share payment link for the PR for the child. I’ve been asking for him to share some proof of submission or if it has been received by someone in canada but he says he has none as it’s a paper application.

I’m assuming TRV is the way forward in this case.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thank you for you’re response. That was our understanding as well but he said that it’s possible since we are PRs. By details I mean he required for us to share the our passport details , pr card copies and baby’s birth Cert copies etc. He said that once this information is shared ( paper application) then CIC would review and share payment link for the PR for the child. I’ve been asking for him to share some proof of submission or if it has been received by someone in canada but he says he has none as it’s a paper application.

I’m assuming TRV is the way forward in this case.
Fire him, he's clearly making stuff up and/or dangerously unaware. Even if it's a paper application, he would have/should have retained copies. And again, you both would have had to sign the documents in several places, hard copies - he could not have signed for you.

Sponsorship process is here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

You will see that in eligibility, "You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada."

Once in Canada (ie if you get TRV), you would not necessarily need an agent. The forms etc are time consuming but they are NOT that difficult. And you need to research yourself and understand what it all means.

If you ever do work with an agent or consultant: anything you sign YOU take responsibility for. If anything is wrong or worse a misrepresentation (a lie or omission of importance), it is your problem, and not the agent's.

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
Fire him, he's clearly making stuff up and/or dangerously unaware. Even if it's a paper application, he would have/should have retained copies. And again, you both would have had to sign the documents in several places, hard copies - he could not have signed for you.

Sponsorship process is here:
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/immigrate-canada/family-sponsorship/spouse-partner-children/eligibility.html

You will see that in eligibility, "You can’t sponsor someone if you’re a permanent resident living outside Canada."

Once in Canada (ie if you get TRV), you would not necessarily need an agent. The forms etc are time consuming but they are NOT that difficult. And you need to research yourself and understand what it all means.

If you ever do work with an agent or consultant: anything you sign YOU take responsibility for. If anything is wrong or worse a misrepresentation (a lie or omission of importance), it is your problem, and not the agent's.
i really have to reconsider agent this and appreciate the help and insights.we have not signed any documents so hopefully it’s not going to be a problem. I can’t believe I wasted 6 months when I could have applied for a TRV.

he even said I could apply for TRV and while the application is being processed simultaneously.

is there any possibility a TRV could be rejected considering the current covid situation?

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
i really have to reconsider agent this and appreciate the help and insights.we have not signed any documents so hopefully it’s not going to be a problem. I can’t believe I wasted 6 months when I could have applied for a TRV.

he even said I could apply for TRV and while the application is being processed simultaneously.

is there any possibility a TRV could be rejected considering the current covid situation?
Unless you're leaving something out, I don't believe it's possible an agent could have submitted without you having signed, for example, a form appointing him as your representative.

My understanding is that it is possible a TRV for the child could be rejected, don't know how common that is. (As in I literally do not know)

There are threads here about sponsoring dependent children and your situation is not that uncommon; I presume other factors such as how long you have been out of Canada may matter.

A key point: are you in compliance with your residency obligation in Canada? You must be to sponsor. In simple terms, this means out of Canada less than 1095 days in last five years (or from date you became PRs if you became PRs less than five years ago).

Reactions: snehashy

snehashy

Aug 27, 2019
Unless you're leaving something out, I don't believe it's possible an agent could have submitted without you having signed, for example, a form appointing him as your representative.

My understanding is that it is possible a TRV for the child could be rejected, don't know how common that is. (As in I literally do not know)

There are threads here about sponsoring dependent children and your situation is not that uncommon; I presume other factors such as how long you have been out of Canada may matter.

A key point: are you in compliance with your residency obligation in Canada? You must be to sponsor. In simple terms, this means out of Canada less than 1095 days in last five years (or from date you became PRs if you became PRs less than five years ago).
yeah I will surely go through the relevant threads. We got our Pr cards Dec 2019 we have time thankfully.

Reactions: armoured

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
yeah I will surely go through the relevant threads. We got our Pr cards Dec 2019 we have time thankfully.
I meant to be more clear: if/when you apply for TRV for the child, pay careful attention to how others have formulated the TRV requests and explanations. Not something I know much about.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

TIA
Your agent is wrong. Fire your agent.

Reactions: canuck78 and YVR123