+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child passport

erexa

Jul 4, 2017
My sister asked me to delegate this question.

They immigrated to Canada in 2009 when their child was 2 years old,. 5 years later all of their family became Canadian citizens including the child.

Now they are trying to get a passport for their child for the first time. Since child's birth certificate is not in English, the passport office is requiring a certified translation (that is what is written in government's website).

The problem is ATIO (ON), ATIA(AB), STIBC(BC), ATIM(MB), CTINB(NB), ATINS (NS), ATIS(SK) NONE OF THESE have a certified translator member from that language. It is not a situation that passport Canada rejecting her application already few times on the grounds of her not providing a certified translation.

I am thinking isn't this a constitutional rights issue? Shouldn't every citizen have a right to have a passport (right of free movement etc.)? And shouldn't state guarantee means of this constitutional right (if it is in fact a right) execution?

Turns out that poor child cannot travel for the next few years until she can get an adult passport. Very sad situation and I am not sure whom to ask for help.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Maybe share which language you are referring to and someone on here may have a suggestion you never know. Looking at the passport application site assume this is for the proof of parentage requirement where need to show a birth certificate with a parents name.

As for constitutional right for a passport , others can disagree but in most countries in the world including Canada believe a passport is a priviledge not a right and can be issued or even withdrawn at any time for a variety of reasons. This is a personal view and not based on any legal knowledge.

Last edited:

erexa

Jul 4, 2017
Maybe share which language you are referring to and someone on here may have a suggestion you never know. Looking at the passport application site assume this is for the proof of parentage requirement where need to show a birth certificate with a parents name.

As for constitutional right for a passport , others can disagree but in most countries in the world including Canada believe a passport is a priviledge not a right and can be issued or even withdrawn at any time for a variety of reasons. This is a personal view and not based on any legal knowledge.
Thanks for the reply. I kind of thought the passport might not be a right. The language is Armenian and I actually found one Quebec certified translator from Armenian to French, will contact him today and will take it from there. And again thanks for your reply!