+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child of naturalized Canadian citizen born in US

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
Hello community. I am a naturalized Canadian citizen, and my wife is a landed immigrant of Canada. My wife recently gave birth to a baby boy in the US. I am in the process of looking for jobs in Canada so that we can all move back. I know that it is possible to file for Canadian citizenship for the new baby, but I am a little unclear of the steps.

I have searched on the Canada.ca website but I have found several pages relating to applying for citizenship. I am confused about which is the correct procedure specifically for my case. It seems like the process outlined in this CIT 001 page is the correct process. Am I correct?

I also have a couple of other questions.
  • How long does it typically take for a certificate of citizenship to arrive from Canada?
  • If I accept a job offer in Canada while the baby does not have Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport, can we still all move there based on my son's US citizenship and passport, and apply for his Canadian citizenship from within Canada?

Thank you.

Last edited:

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello community. I am a naturalized Canadian citizen, and my wife is a landed immigrant of Canada. My wife recently gave birth to a baby boy in the US. I am in the process of looking for jobs in Canada so that we can all move back. I know that it is possible to file for Canadian citizenship for the new baby, but I am a little unclear of the steps.

I have searched on the Canada.ca website but I have found several pages relating to applying for citizenship. I am confused about which is the correct procedure specifically for my case. It seems like the process outlined in this CIT 001 page is the correct process. Am I correct?

I also have a couple of other questions.
  • How long does it typically take for a certificate of citizenship to arrive from Canada?
  • If I accept a job offer in Canada while the baby does not have Canadian citizenship and a Canadian passport, can we still all move there based on my son's US citizenship and passport, and apply for his Canadian citizenship from within Canada?

Thank you.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/about.html
I believe that it can take a while.
What you are applying for is PROOF of citizenship. The child is already a Canadian citizen by descent.
The terminology is important....

Ambiance44

Oct 6, 2008
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-citizenship/proof-citizenship/about.html
I believe that it can take a while.
What you are applying for is PROOF of citizenship. The child is already a Canadian citizen by descent.
The terminology is important....
Thanks for explaining that. I didn't know that.

The website says that currently the applications are taking 5 months. So, if I a job offer is asking me to start a job in, for example, 4 weeks, can we all go to Canada so that I can start the new job? And then I can apply for his proof of citizenship and Canadian passport when we are living in Canada?

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013

The website says that currently the applications are taking 5 months. So, if I a job offer is asking me to start a job in, for example, 4 weeks, can we all go to Canada so that I can start the new job? And then I can apply for his proof of citizenship and Canadian passport when we are living in Canada?
I would think that is possible. It all depends on the CBSA officer at the Port of Entry. However, as the child is a dual US/Canadian citizen, there should be no issue.

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

You can apply concurrently for the Certificate and a limited validity Canadian passport for the child.