+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child granted citizenship while abroad

crbrown

May 13, 2017
I'm in a very unique situation. My daughter has been granted citizenship while we are overseas (where I am temporarily working). She was caught up in the whole "second generation abroad" Bill C37 nonsense. Finally resolved after 3 year ordeal, but now here's the complication: we had to mail her PR card to Canada, and now they are sending the Citizenship certificate to our Canadian address. We are planning to move back soon. She also has a UK passport. Can we enter on the UK passport (with eta) and then just stay and apply for Canadian passport without leaving Canada? Or would it be better to get someone to mail us the citizenship certificate and get the Canadian passport overseas? 2nd option is 100% possible, but will require more time. So my main question is whether the 1st option is even legally doable?

Thanks.

Vesimsyd

Star Member
Nov 24, 2018
Nowhere (cic,canada post )it says it's illegal, please call cic to check ,its good If it is accompanied by a written authorization letter if someone is carrying,
And of course one can come to canada for a visit and apply for passport
Just my opinion

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Others can comment as well but generally Canadian citizens can only enter Canada with a Canadian passport. There is a special authorisation option but that reads as though is subject to timing of travel so might be an option

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html

Note as a PR she should not have been able to have a valid ETA on the UK passport. PRs must present a card or PRTD to board a flight. Once a citizen no ETA only a Canadian passport.

Last edited:

crbrown

May 13, 2017
Yep, just realized this as well, she can't enter on UK passport once she's a Canadian citizen. This could be awkward as my father isn't well and we may need to go there on short notice, but looks like my daughter needs to wait for 1) citizenship certificate to arrive in Canada, 2) certificate to be mailed to us overseas, and 3) passport applied overseas. I have basically nothing good to say about the immigration processes of my mother country. I'm embarrassed to be Canadian in the first place.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
Yep, just realized this as well, she can't enter on UK passport once she's a Canadian citizen. This could be awkward as my father isn't well and we may need to go there on short notice, but looks like my daughter needs to wait for 1) citizenship certificate to arrive in Canada, 2) certificate to be mailed to us overseas, and 3) passport applied overseas. I have basically nothing good to say about the immigration processes of my mother country. I'm embarrassed to be Canadian in the first place.
Look into the special authorisation route, worth a look

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/visit-canada/dual-canadian-citizens-visit-canada.html