+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child disability services and benfits

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
Hi,

I am a new permanent resident of Canada and consider moving either British Columbia or Ontario.
My child has minor special needs if anybody is already in canada and have child with any special needs, please PM me. I am looking to talk to parents in same situation.

Thanks

Last edited:

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Unfortunately I had to laugh at this post. You will likely not qualify for any help at home unless you are extremely high needs maybe a few hours a week but that would be hard to get. There is a disability savings plan but not disability payments. There is a plan whee the government will match your money up to a certain amount plus give you a small amount per year but that's it. The savings plan is supposed to be used to care for them as adults when you are no longer around. As a parent you cover a large portion if the costs through your workplace insurance usually unless you are on welfare. What kind of medical supplies? Think you are in for a huge shock. You or your wife will either have to pay for a caregiver or do the majority of the caregiving.

Peterpan.tintin

Sep 24, 2018
Unfortunately I had to laugh at this post. You will likely not qualify for any help at home unless you are extremely high needs maybe a few hours a week but that would be hard to get. There is a disability savings plan but not disability payments. There is a plan whee the government will match your money up to a certain amount plus give you a small amount per year but that's it. The savings plan is supposed to be used to care for them as adults when you are no longer around. As a parent you cover a large portion if the costs through your workplace insurance usually unless you are on welfare. What kind of medical supplies? Think you are in for a huge shock. You or your wife will either have to pay for a caregiver or do the majority of the caregiving.
Thanks for your help. I have updated my original post for not to get anymore laughs (as it hurts! ) at my situation and to be more realistic for what I was looking for

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Give that your child has minor special needs you will likely just need a school evaluation to see where the public school will place him. You also have the option of private education if you feel isn't getting adequate attention. Your expectation of the Canadian system was very far from reality if your child is only somewhat delayed. Based on your request of multiple hours a day of care in the home, therapy, where to get medical supplies, etc. Children in wheelchairs with traechs don't even get that much care. Although you may receive a certain level of services or be put on a waiting list for services, it is often not enough so it falls to the parents to pay for extra therapy and do therapy with their children.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would select an area where you can get the best job with the best health insurance. Although we are lucky to have universal care that covers a portion of the healthcare system it comes with long wait times. If you need to see a paediatric neurologist it could be 6 months.