+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child citizenship

Bars

Aug 18, 2015
Hello fellow canadavisa denizens! I need your help with the non-trivial matter.
My wife is currently pregnant. We are both canadian PR and both mailed our citizenship applications sometime ago but of course due to covid we are not expecting to hear back until probably next year.
So in the meantime I have been offered a very good job in the US. Obviously right now everything is closed but chances are by end of summer embassies will reopen and cross-border traffic will be restored at least to some degree.
So if my wife gives birth in the US but we won't be Canadian citizens by the time the child is born, he or she won't be Canadian by descent. That's clear.
Whats not clear is what should we do for him/her if we decide to return to Canada in couple of years?
Obvisouly if by some luck we get our citizenship ceremony before the childbirth the question is moot, but that is very unlikely.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Hello fellow canadavisa denizens! I need your help with the non-trivial matter.
My wife is currently pregnant. We are both canadian PR and both mailed our citizenship applications sometime ago but of course due to covid we are not expecting to hear back until probably next year.
So in the meantime I have been offered a very good job in the US. Obviously right now everything is closed but chances are by end of summer embassies will reopen and cross-border traffic will be restored at least to some degree.
So if my wife gives birth in the US but we won't be Canadian citizens by the time the child is born, he or she won't be Canadian by descent. That's clear.
Whats not clear is what should we do for him/her if we decide to return to Canada in couple of years?
Obvisouly if by some luck we get our citizenship ceremony before the childbirth the question is moot, but that is very unlikely.
1. You would have to first sponsor the child for permanent residence once you are in Canada.
2. Once the child has PR status in Canada, then you could apply for his/her citizenship.

Bars

Aug 18, 2015
I see, yes I checked the requirements. We can still sponsor from outside of Canada if we show that we plan to return to Canada eventually.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

I see, yes I checked the requirements. We can still sponsor from outside of Canada if we show that we plan to return to Canada eventually.
1. No, only Canadian citizens can sponsor their SPOUSEs outside Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hi

1. No, only Canadian citizens can sponsor their SPOUSEs outside Canada.

You have to have concrete proof that you will be returning because many have not so the requirements have increased.

Veerji

May 12, 2020
Replying to question 9B
Has the minor been outside of Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past
five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident?
If minor immigrate to Canada on 10th May 2017 and applying for Citizenship on 15th May 2020, does we have say NO or YES to this question as according to me Qualifying period starts from 15 May 2015 to 15 May 2020 and he live 5 days less i.e. 725 days , Please revert

rajkamalmohanram

VIP Member
Apr 29, 2015
Replying to question 9B
Has the minor been outside of Canada for a total of 730 days or more in the past
five (5) years or since becoming a permanent resident?
If minor immigrate to Canada on 10th May 2017 and applying for Citizenship on 15th May 2020, does we have say NO or YES to this question as according to me Qualifying period starts from 15 May 2015 to 15 May 2020 and he live 5 days less i.e. 725 days , Please revert
IMO, the words "since becoming a permanent resident" takes precedence here.

Also, the instruction guide mentions this for question 9B-

https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/application/application-forms-guides/guide-0003-application-canadian-citizenship-minors-under-18-years.html#CIT0003E5

"You must let us know if the child left Canada for a total of six months or longer since becoming a permanent resident. If yes, give details of the time the child spent away from Canada. Use another piece of paper, if you need more space."
Going by the wording in the instruction guide, if your child was NOT outside of Canada for 6 months or more AFTER obtaining permanent residence, you can answer 'No'.

NOTE : This is only my opinion and not legal advise.

Veerji

May 12, 2020

Going by the wording in the instruction guide, if your child was NOT outside of Canada for 6 months or more AFTER obtaining permanent residence, you can answer 'No'.

Thanks for revert. But their are two questions either since become PR or 5 years( whether it should start from date completing the eligibility or the date when we sign citizenship application.

devnill

Dec 5, 2015
Thanks for revert. But their are two questions either since become PR or 5 years( whether it should start from date completing the eligibility or the date when we sign citizenship application.
Minors don't have an eligibility period, that is for adult applicants only.

Sabricaincanada

Sep 12, 2021
Guys, I'm reading your comments above regarding citizenship application for minors but I can't find these questions anywhere on the application nor can I find the explanations quoted here in the instructions guide!! Has the application/requirements been changed??

Sabricaincanada

Sep 12, 2021

Hello Raj, I'm waiting here for your reply specificly :)