+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child care subsidy

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
You can once you file a Canadian tax return and then get on their wait list. The wait list may be very long. Assume you already have arranged for child care.

krishk329

May 27, 2017
Thanks for reply, I have applied to few and put her on the waiting list. So that means I can only be eligible after an year almost when I fill the tax return, right?

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thanks for reply, I have applied to few and put her on the waiting list. So that means I can only be eligible after an year almost when I fill the tax return, right?
For City of Toronto, they require a Canadian tax return and Notice of Assessment. The subsidy is based on your income. You can file in 2022 based on your 2021 Canadian income. Given you are a student and not citizen or PR, I don’t think you can file now. Also once you get your NOC, you go on a waiting list for the subsidy. You meet with a caseworker to determine your eligibility. That can take a long time too depending on the numbers. Because of Covid, there are waiting lists for most daycares because they are not a full capacity.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
For City of Toronto, they require a Canadian tax return and Notice of Assessment. The subsidy is based on your income. You can file in 2022 based on your 2021 Canadian income. Given you are a student and not citizen or PR, I don’t think you can file now. Also once you get your NOC, you go on a waiting list for the subsidy. You meet with a caseworker to determine your eligibility. That can take a long time too depending on the numbers. Because of Covid, there are waiting lists for most daycares because they are not a full capacity.
Same as in BC. You need to meet residency requirement if you are not Citizen, Permanent Resident and or Protected Person. 18months is requirement and your income should not be over 111,000 to qualify. They’ll need Your NOA and you sign authorization for BC Gvt to contact CRA about your tax return. So as a student you dont qualify right away

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017