+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to me while I was a PR holder, got my citizenship after she was born. Is she a Canadian?

AASZ

Aug 7, 2019
Hey guys so I have this query. My daughter was born to me while I was a PR holder, got my citizenship later. Is she a Canadian citizen?

Last edited:

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
Was she born in Canada? If yes, she's a citizen regardless of your status at the time. If she was born outside Canada, then no, she's not a citizen, and you'd have to sponsor her as a PR first, and then she could get citizenship.

Reactions: AASZ

AASZ

Aug 7, 2019
Was she born in Canada? If yes, she's a citizen regardless of your status at the time. If she was born outside Canada, then no, she's not a citizen, and you'd have to sponsor her as a PR first, and then she could get citizenship.
Okay thankyou so much. But will she have to stay in Canada for a number of days to obtain her citizenship? Or will she get it staying in her homeland since she’s a minor

AASZ

Aug 7, 2019
Yes, she will have to live here for 3 years before she can qualify for citizenship, unless one of the following exceptions apply.

1. Her other parent is applying for citizenship at the same time she is.
2. Either you or your spouse (and your spouse is a PR/citizen) were working for the Canadian Armed Forces, or Canadian Federal or Provincial government

If those exceptions don't apply, you will need to sponsor her, then move here, stay for three years, and then apply for citizenship.

In addition, if you are living abroad, you can sponsor her for PR, but you need to show a plan to move here when she gets her PR. She won't get a PR if it's clear that you have no intention of moving to Canada.

AASZ

Aug 7, 2019
Yes, she will have to live here for 3 years before she can qualify for citizenship, unless one of the following exceptions apply.

1. Her other parent is applying for citizenship at the same time she is.
2. Either you or your spouse (and your spouse is a PR/citizen) were working for the Canadian Armed Forces, or Canadian Federal or Provincial government

If those exceptions don't apply, you will need to sponsor her, then move here, stay for three years, and then apply for citizenship.

In addition, if you are living abroad, you can sponsor her for PR, but you need to show a plan to move here when she gets her PR. She won't get a PR if it's clear that you have no intention of moving to Canada.
Regarding ur first point, yes I’ll also be applying for my wife’s PR along with my daughters so technically they will be applying for citizenship at the same time. Does this criteria count as an exception?

Thankyou so much!!

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12

21Goose

VIP Member
Nov 10, 2016
AOR Received.
Feb 2017
I'm sorry, I misread something in the Act.

The scenarios I was talking about only apply if you all were PRs. But since you're already a citizen, 5(2) applies, and you can apply immediately after your child gets her PR

Your wife still has to wait.

Apologies for the misleading information. I'll delete the prior posts so that people don't read them and get confused.

Reactions: AASZ