+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born to Canadian Parents outside Canada

MPNP_Winnipeg

Aug 13, 2012
My 6 month old son was born outside of Canada. We all are outside of Canada and would like to travel back to Canada. I have already applied for my son's citizenship certificate and need some guidance on how can apply for his Limited Validity passport. What is the process for Limited Validity Passport (Limited Validity Travel Document) application? Any help or guidance in this will be greatly appreciated.

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
My 6 month old son was born outside of Canada. We all are outside of Canada and would like to travel back to Canada. I have already applied for my son's citizenship certificate and need some guidance on how can apply for his Limited Validity passport. What is the process for Limited Validity Passport (Limited Validity Travel Document) application? Any help or guidance in this will be greatly appreciated.
Usually people apply the citizenship certificate together with the limited validity passport. So please go to the consulate consular section again to apply one.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Contact the embassy/consulate/high commission that covers your area and ask.

MPNP_Winnipeg

Aug 13, 2012

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have reached out to Consulate/ High Commission via email and phone but unable to get a response.

I am suggested following link to understand the eligibility for LVP but I am not able to figure out how to define urgency, compelling and compassionate aspects of the criteria.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/limited-validity-travel-document.html.

Has anyone done this request for a child born abroad ??
Lots of people have done this. It is relatively routine. Try again with consulate. If you can't get a response, contact IRCC or global affairs directly. If you can't get a proper response, instructions, contact your MP and ask for help/complain. Getting passports to citizens abroad is a critical role they play - and even if it takes longer than one would like, you should be able to get instructions.

In most cases you apply directly to the consular section/consulate using copies of your app for the citizenshp certificate. But it is best to be in direct contact with them.

MPNP_Winnipeg

Aug 13, 2012
And please: "I am suggested...". By whom?
I reached out to office of an Immigration Consultant abroad in the city I am now and was suggested to follow the criteria for Limited Validity Travel document mentioned at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/limited-validity-travel-document.html.
The whole thing is so confusing to me ..... I am planning to visit physically at the Canadian consulate (which is in another city 300km away) next week. Hopefully, will get some guidance. Can someone plz advise what documents should I take with me for my son and myself, if I get the opportunity to apply on spot at the Canadian consulate. I will be taking copies of app for the citizenship certificate for my son that is submitted, my citizenship certificate and my Canadian Passport.

Last edited:

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I reached out to office of an Immigration Consultant abroad in the city I am now and was suggested to follow the criteria for Limited Validity Travel document mentioned at https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/limited-validity-travel-document.html.
The whole thing is so confusing to me ..... I am planning to visit physically at the Canadian consulate (which is in another city 300km away) next week. Hopefully, will get some guidance. Can someone plz advise what documents should I take with me for my son and myself, if I get the opportunity to apply on spot at the Canadian consulate. I will be taking copies of app for the citizenship certificate for my son that is submitted, my citizenship certificate and my Canadian Passport.
I think your consultant is talking about the wrong document (but I'm not certain about terminology). I'd suggest talking to someone at IRCC / Global Affairs - https://www.international.gc.ca/global-affairs-affaires-mondiales/corporate-ministere/contact-contactez/index.aspx?lang=eng

Or embassy. Or consulate. Or try your MP.

Start with this very basic question: your child is a Canadian citizen, as the child of a citizen. You've submitted the app for certificate of citizenship. You need a passport for the child to travel, whether temporary or limited validity or whatever. Travel is planned for xxx. How do you get it and where to apply.

See my post above - if you can't get an answer that way, try your MP's office.

Samlia

Aug 29, 2014
I have reached out to Consulate/ High Commission via email and phone but unable to get a response.

I am suggested following link to understand the eligibility for LVP but I am not able to figure out how to define urgency, compelling and compassionate aspects of the criteria.
https://www.canada.ca/en/immigration-refugees-citizenship/services/canadian-passports/security/limited-validity-travel-document.html.

Has anyone done this request for a child born abroad ??
I sent passport application of my new born to Abu Dhabi Consulate today. It is fairy very easy process. Email them on the correct email address and they should share the step by step process. You must be sending emails to the wrong address. Relax and go to consulate website and book an appointment for Passport and Citizenship application there and they should return an email within 48 hours with instructions. if you have already applied for citizenship then you would only send passport application along with payment receipt and citizenship application confirmation to Abu Dhabi Consulate. Thats it and you are done.

Reactions: armoured

Samlia

Aug 29, 2014
there should be a process of this consulate for these applications. I just applied my son in UAE. citizenship and passport application goes together (citizenship app could be online but you have to attach the proofs). You would just waste time and money of physically going there. read proper instructions on consulate website. This is not third world country where consulate is not organized. I have done this process while sitting on my work computer and printer. check the consulate website thoroughly

MPNP_Winnipeg

Aug 13, 2012
I sent passport application of my new born to Abu Dhabi Consulate today. It is fairy very easy process. Email them on the correct email address and they should share the step by step process. You must be sending emails to the wrong address. Relax and go to consulate website and book an appointment for Passport and Citizenship application there and they should return an email within 48 hours with instructions. if you have already applied for citizenship then you would only send passport application along with payment receipt and citizenship application confirmation to Abu Dhabi Consulate. Thats it and you are done.
I was able to get information from Canadian consulate and it is similar to what Samila explained above. I am providing additional details for anyone for reference in future but you MUST contact local consulate to confirm process as there are some caveats to this process to validate documentations provided by the country where child is born.

General requirements for Limited Validity Passport of your child

1) PPTC 042 form
2) 2 recent photographs (Certified by guarantor)
3) Original Proof of Canadian citizenship for one of the Canadian parent.
4) Fee receipt for $ 100 CAD
5) Both parents Original Valid Government issued ID’s with Photo, complete name and signatures
6) Child’s original birth certificate
8) PPTC 116 (signed by applicant parent with child’s name) & 445 (details of Canadian parent only).
9) If “Other Parent” is residing in Canada than complete his/her details on the form under “other parent” section. Other parent
does not need to sign the form instead he/she will be visiting nearing Passport office in Canada to sign PPTC 028 form and present his/her ID with a reference file number which will be issued once complete application is received.

Reactions: armoured

MPNP_Winnipeg

Aug 13, 2012
" read proper instructions on consulate website."
No instruction was posted on consulate website.

"This is not third world country where consulate is not organized."
Nothing to do with third world or first world. Canadian consulate's published email and phone numbers were unresponsive, may be Consulate is facing budget cuts and cant afford additional staff at consulate.

Last edited:

kprs_ind

Apr 17, 2013
Chennai
Category........
CEC
Visa Office......
New Delhi
NOC Code......
App. Filed.......
02-08-2013
Doc's Request.
N/A
Nomination.....
N/A
AOR Received.
06-10-2013
IELTS Request
Sent with Application
File Transfer...
N/A
Med's Request
07-03-2014
Med's Done....
10-03-2014
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
25-03-2014
VISA ISSUED...
04-04-2014
LANDED..........
29-07-2014
I was able to get information from Canadian consulate and it is similar to what Samila explained above. I am providing additional details for anyone for reference in future but you MUST contact local consulate to confirm process as there are some caveats to this process to validate documentations provided by the country where child is born.

General requirements for Limited Validity Passport of your child

1) PPTC 042 form
2) 2 recent photographs (Certified by guarantor)
3) Original Proof of Canadian citizenship for one of the Canadian parent.
4) Fee receipt for $ 100 CAD
5) Both parents Original Valid Government issued ID’s with Photo, complete name and signatures
6) Child’s original birth certificate
8) PPTC 116 (signed by applicant parent with child’s name) & 445 (details of Canadian parent only).
9) If “Other Parent” is residing in Canada than complete his/her details on the form under “other parent” section. Other parent
does not need to sign the form instead he/she will be visiting nearing Passport office in Canada to sign PPTC 028 form and present his/her ID with a reference file number which will be issued once complete application is received.
What is the processing time?