+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside Canada with Canadian Father and Filipino Mother

yumigh

Jan 24, 2016
Hi. I am currently living in the Philippines, just about to start to submit my spousal visa application to migrate to Canada. I am a Filipino and my husband is a Canadian. We got married March 2015, we have a newborn child, delivered November of 2015 in the Philippines. My question is, what will be the process for my baby to migrate to Canada? Does she need to apply for a visa as well? or is she automatically considered a Canadian Citizen and doesn't need visa anymore? Should I just get her a Philippine passport and request for a citizenship certificate from the Canadian embassy and she's good to go? or do I need to apply for a visa for both of us? I am not sure how dual citizenship works.
I appreciate your answers in advance! :)

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

yumigh said:
Hi. I am currently living in the Philippines, just about to start to submit my spousal visa application to migrate to Canada. I am a Filipino and my husband is a Canadian. We got married March 2015, we have a newborn child, delivered November of 2015 in the Philippines. My question is, what will be the process for my baby to migrate to Canada? Does she need to apply for a visa as well? or is she automatically considered a Canadian Citizen and doesn't need visa anymore? Should I just get her a Philippine passport and request for a citizenship certificate from the Canadian embassy and she's good to go? or do I need to apply for a visa for both of us? I am not sure how dual citizenship works.
I appreciate your answers in advance! :)
1. You need to apply for proof of Canadian citizenship for the child: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/citizenship/proof.asp
2. Once you have that, you can apply for a Canadian passport, or if your COPR is issued before your receive the proof, you can apply for a limited validity passport http://www.canadainternational.gc.ca/italy-italie/consular_services_consulaires/passportsfornewborn_passeportsnourrisson.aspx?lang=eng or a facilitation visa on her Philippine passort.

banzhee

Feb 4, 2015
philippine passport

Pardon me for posting here. I have been looking for the new topic button .cant find it.Im desperate. Pls help anyone. Heres my question. Can I get my daugther a Philippine passport .she was born in the phillipines to a Filipino mother and Canadian father M daugther is 6 years old and we havent applied for her canadian certificate . My daugther and Me (mother) is staying in the Philippines right now. In her Philippine passport application do I have to state that shes a dual citizen? (Filipino and canadian) Can i just put Filipino there so that there will be no further inquiries? Pls help Im clueless.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Re: philippine passport

banzhee said:
Pardon me for posting here. I have been looking for the new topic button .cant find it.Im desperate. Pls help anyone. Heres my question. Can I get my daugther a Philippine passport .she was born in the phillipines to a Filipino mother and Canadian father M daugther is 6 years old and we havent applied for her canadian certificate . My daugther and Me (mother) is staying in the Philippines right now. In her Philippine passport application do I have to state that shes a dual citizen? (Filipino and canadian) Can i just put Filipino there so that there will be no further inquiries? Pls help Im clueless.
Dual just means you have two passports. It doesn't necessarily mean that each of your passports has anything to do with each other. Her Canadian passport when she gets one is definitely not going to say Filipino on it. As for whether her Filipino passport will say Canadian on it, you'd have to ask your passport office.

Also make sure you apply for the citizenship certificate and Canadian passport sooner rather than later. There are plenty of people who always wanted to do it later and then something happens, parent dies, documents are lost etc. and people end up as adults having to figure this out the hard way and find the proof in order to apply.

saskatoonsnip

Star Member
Apr 25, 2016
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
philippine passport

My wife got ppr today and my daughter's citizenship is still in process at embassy. What should i do now

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
My wife got ppr today and my daughter's citizenship is still in process at embassy. What should i do now
If your child is under the age of 2, you can apply for a limited validity Canadian passport on the basis of having applied for the Certificate of Citizenship.

Bs65

VIP Member
Mar 22, 2016
You need to first contact the Canadian Embassy/Consulate passport service in your home country as nobody here can really predict the processing time other than what the Consulate might say for any special processing.

It is not a visa but an actual Canadian passport that you are asking about for your 2 year old still assume in your home country. Visas are for non Canadian citizens

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
pardon for posting here.. just need hel anyone..hello there..im here cause i need help,legal advice about my situation, I currently live in Philippines 2 years now and have my son whose 21 months old. I gave birth here in Philippines..his father is a Canadian..he was my estranged husband (married in Canada in June,2015) too as we have no longer contact each other. He never give financial support to us or even just with our son so my concern here is that..can i apply fir child support even I'm here in Philippines? and also I'? wondering if my son is a Canadian? Can i apply him to be a Canadian Citizen? If so what are the requirements?? Thanks in advance...

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
pardon for posting here.. just need hel anyone..hello there..im here cause i need help,legal advice about my situation, I currently live in Philippines 2 years now and have my son whose 21 months old. I gave birth here in Philippines..his father is a Canadian..he was my estranged husband (married in Canada in June,2015) too as we have no longer contact each other. He never give financial support to us or even just with our son so my concern here is that..can i apply fir child support even I'm here in Philippines? and also I'? wondering if my son is a Canadian? Can i apply him to be a Canadian Citizen? If so what are the requirements?? Thanks in advance...
You would need to hire a lawyer in Canada to file for child support.

If the father was born in Canada or naturalized as a Canadian before your child was born, then yes, your child is Canadian. However, without the cooperation of the father, you can't apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are going to sue for support, you could try to have the courts order him to co-operate with the certificate app as well.

canadian son

Jan 28, 2018
Thanks very much for ur reply..im happy at least his Canadian grandfather will help my son with his papers...so the only thing Im concerned now is about the child support
You would need to hire a lawyer in Canada to file for child support.

If the father was born in Canada or naturalized as a Canadian before your child was born, then yes, your child is Canadian. However, without the cooperation of the father, you can't apply for a Certificate of Citizenship. If you are going to sue for support, you could try to have the courts order him to co-operate with the certificate app as well.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010

Maerel

Feb 17, 2018
Hello! I'm a filipina seperated with my Filipino husband. I have a Canadian boyfriend born in Canada and we have a son 3 years old now. Since I'm not yet annulled we are not married yet. I born our son last 2014 under my family name and he acknowledge our child last year and now our son used his family name. My question is my son can avail a Canadian citizen even he is born in the Philippines? I really need your help. What will be the requirements?

Thank you!

zardoz

VIP Member
Feb 2, 2013
Canada
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
16-02-2013
VISA ISSUED...
31-07-2013
LANDED..........
09-11-2013
Hello! I'm a filipina seperated with my Filipino husband. I have a Canadian boyfriend born in Canada and we have a son 3 years old now. Since I'm not yet annulled we are not married yet. I born our son last 2014 under my family name and he acknowledge our child last year and now our son used his family name. My question is my son can avail a Canadian citizen even he is born in the Philippines? I really need your help. What will be the requirements?

Thank you!
If the biological father was a Canadian citizen by birth or naturalisation at the time of the child's birth, yes.