+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born outside Canada to PRs, how to proceed

habibr

Feb 3, 2015
Hi there,

I know it is a topic discussed few times earlier here but I got the mix kind of feeling. Therefore, thought of asking with the new post. My wife and I landed in June 2012 as immigrants and returned to Riyadh after 6 weeks (in fact my wife stayed around 9 weeks). Now our three year grace period is going to end this June and we are thinking of moving to Canada. The trouble is our son born here in Riyadh in Jan 2014.

My first question is that what kind of visa we need for him to take with us and what are the chances?
Secondly, what documents/evidence should I provide along with visa application?

Thanks

agarand8

Aug 21, 2013
Regina, Saskatchewan
Category........
Visa Office......
Mexico City
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-03-2014
Doc's Request.
10-06-2014
AOR Received.
21-05-2014...#2 - 10-06-2014
File Transfer...
22-05-2014
Med's Request
Additional tests requested on 05-06-2014
Med's Done....
Feb. 2014 & August 5th 2014
Interview........
24-FEB-2015
Passport Req..
24-MAR-2015...received at VO 6-APR-2015
If you are a PR you can sponsor your child. You will have to go to CIC website to see what you all need. It is a long process depending on which office you will use. I don't know if there is any way they would speed it up because it's your baby but probably not. Too late now but if the child would have been born inside of Canada he would have been Canadian. Too bad.

You would sponsor him under the family class as a dependant living outside of Canada. Because it's your child I don't think it is too much paperwork. Do they do criminal record checks for kids? Lol.

Good luck to you

kriv

Aug 14, 2014
habibr said:
Hi there,

I know it is a topic discussed few times earlier here but I got the mix kind of feeling. Therefore, thought of asking with the new post. My wife and I landed in June 2012 as immigrants and returned to Riyadh after 6 weeks (in fact my wife stayed around 9 weeks). Now our three year grace period is going to end this June and we are thinking of moving to Canada. The trouble is our son born here in Riyadh in Jan 2014.

My first question is that what kind of visa we need for him to take with us and what are the chances?
Secondly, what documents/evidence should I provide along with visa application?

Thanks
you can apply for a TRP (Temp resident permit) for your son..once he is here in canada you can sponsor him. i think this is the best way to bring him here along and i think you can still sponsor him out-land ( to reduce the processing timings) even if he is living here with you. while he is here you will just need to extend his stay in canada till he gets his PR..
usually for a minor TRV (temp resident visa) are refused so TRP can be a good option.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
I think you need to be refused the TRV first, before you can apply for the TRP

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Don't "think" about moving to Canada. You need to commit and with a non PR child born outside, it is not necessarily an easy road.

It is utmost important that at least one of the parents return to Canada while you can still meet the RO.

Breaking down in steps what you need to do:

1) One parents returns to Canada and starts sponsorship of the child. A PR must be in Canada in order to sponsor, no way around that. The parent should not leave Canada again until they meet the RO, both in order to avoid risk to their PR as well as avoiding risk to their sponsorship application of the child.

2) The other parents applies for a TRV for the child to come to Canada. If a TRV is granted, they can join the other parent in Canada with the child. If the TRV is denied, apply for a TRP (kind of a TRV on humanitarian grounds) stating that it would be hardship on your family to be separated while the sponsorship for the child is being processed. If the TRP is denied, the child can not go to Canada.

3) Depending on how long the TRV / TRP application round takes and whether it's approved or rejected, it is possible that the parent who did not return to Canada will be unable to meet the RO. In most cases, it would not be a problem for them to return to Canada anyway as they can explain the situation with the child. Worst case scenario in case this parent were to lose PR over staying outside too long, the other parent who returned can always sponsor them again.

So in essence, you may be looking at your family being separated for months if the TRV/TRP is rejected. However, you can save your PR if one of you returns to Canada now. If you decide to skip step 1) and try applying for TRV/TRP now and see if you get it before deciding if you or one of you will return to Canada, you will be in the situation that you will both be returning to Canada unable to meet the RO and you will then have a problem with the sponsorship.

Sheps

Apr 29, 2014
Winnipeg, MB
Category........
Visa Office......
CPC-M/CPC-O
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
13-02-2015
Doc's Request.
UPFRONT
Nomination.....
(Wife)
AOR Received.
08-04-2014
Med's Request
Upfront
Med's Done....
06-01-2015
Interview........
WAIVED
Passport Req..
WAIVED
VISA ISSUED...
14-07-2015
LANDED..........
18-07-2015
You may be able to contact CIC and request a expedited processing for this application. It is something to consider trying based on the circumstances.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

Sheps said:
You may be able to contact CIC and request a expedited processing for this application. It is something to consider trying based on the circumstances.
1. They can request it, to give themselves peace of mind, but CIC doesn't work that way. Everyone would have some reason to have their application expedited.

smk_ujs

Star Member
Jul 4, 2015
@habibr,

Did you finally move to Canada?
how was your experience? i am in a similar boat.

I have a kid born outside of Canada in Newzealand and dont know how easy it will be to sponsor him after moving there.

We need to show proof of income in Canada. How can we show that straight away? it takes some time to settle down.

My case is only a little different, in that my child is born in a visa waiver country so she might not need a TRV.