+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in India to a Canadian Citizenship holder

izz83

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Hello Everyone. I am a Canadian citizen by Naturalization. I am expecting my first child early next year and most probably the delivery will happen in India. I have already applied for my wife's pr but that will take a bit of time. What will be the process to get the Canadian passport for the child in India and how long does it usually take? Has anyone been through this situation? If yes, your advice will be very helpful Thank you :)

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Hello Everyone. I am a Canadian citizen by Naturalization. I am expecting my first child early next year and most probably the delivery will happen in India. I have already applied for my wife's pr but that will take a bit of time. What will be the process to get the Canadian passport for the child in India and how long does it usually take? Has anyone been through this situation? If yes, your advice will be very helpful Thank you :)
When child is born, you'll need to apply for citizenship for the child and apply for passport at same time (I believe they call it a temporary or travel passport for newborns). The only difference here is that they take a lot of time to do the citizenship decision and can issue the temporary passport for the child pending the final determination of citizenship. (Obviously they only do this where the child has a pretty simple and obvious claim to citizenship)

Reactions: izz83

izz83

Star Member
Jul 11, 2019
Thanks for your quick response. I am not getting proper answers on google that is the reason i have posted my query here on the portal so that if someone who has gone through this process can help me out.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Reactions: izz83