+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born in Canada while parents on work permit

C_vitamin

Star Member
Jul 29, 2020
You need to have 600 insurable hours of work to qualify for maternity benefits. You will qualify for materity leave benefits while your work permit is still valid. You must have both a valid work permit and SIN to qualify for maternity benefits.
Hello,

Normally I can take maternity leave if I complete 600 hours of working time but as I've said I will only have 1 year PGWP and to be eligible for express entry I need to work 1 full year but if I take break it will affect my work experience. If the work experience under 1 year CIC doesn't count it. so I wonder that CIC has a rule for these kinds of situation?Can I extend my PGWP or not? Normally PGWP is not extendable.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello,

Normally I can take maternity leave if I complete 600 hours of working time but as I've said I will only have 1 year PGWP and to be eligible for express entry I need to work 1 full year but if I take break it will affect my work experience. If the work experience under 1 year CIC doesn't count it. so I wonder that CIC has a rule for these kinds of situation?Can I extend my PGWP or not? Normally PGWP is not extendable.
You won’t have your PGWP extended because you took maternity leave. You get the same amount of time whether you take maternity leave or not.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I know this is an old post, I just want to ask if parents are both on work permit, does it mean the cost of the birth of the child will be shouldered by us and no company health insurance will cover this? If this is the case, please give an estimated expense breakdown. Pregnancy was unplanned so as work permit holders I am anxious about all the upcoming expenses.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I know this is an old post, I just want to ask if parents are both on work permit, does it mean the cost of the birth of the child will be shouldered by us and no company health insurance will cover this? If this is the case, please give an estimated expense breakdown. Pregnancy was unplanned so as work permit holders I am anxious about all the upcoming expenses.
Are you both working? what province? What WP? When does it expire? Do you have provincial healthcare already? how far along in the pregnancy?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Are you both working? what province? What WP? When does it expire? Do you have provincial healthcare already? how far along in the pregnancy?
Both of us are working right now, my husband on full time but I'm on contract and it will expire by December this year. So I have to look for another job. We have the provincial health care but I believe that only PR holders are covered by prenatal care? I'm on my first month of pregnancy.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Both of us are working right now, my husband on full time but I'm on contract and it will expire by December this year. So I have to look for another job. We have the provincial health care but I believe that only PR holders are covered by prenatal care? I'm on my first month of pregnancy.
Also we are in BC

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You're incorrect not just PRs qualify for prenatal care. Anyone who has a healthcard and meets the RO to receive healthcare in that province qualifies.

Reactions: C_vitamin

screech339

VIP Member
Apr 2, 2013
Category........
Visa Office......
Vegreville
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
14-08-2012
AOR Received.
20-11-2012
Med's Done....
18-07-2012
Interview........
17-06-2013
LANDED..........
17-06-2013
If both your parents have work permit , they should have been able to apply for provincial health coverage. Depending on province where they are, ie Ontario, they both should be able to apply for OHIP, especially the mother, if they have a letter from employers stating they are employed full time for at least 6 months. If the mother have provincial health coverage, the medical cost due to any pregnant related issues would be covered.

Apr 30, 2021
Please i need help...I'm moving to canada with a work permit together with my wife and daughter...we started the process last year and we should be travelling to Canada by July. but my wife is 3months pregnant already..i hope this wont affect us at the port of entry into canada. and i hope she can still work before having the baby while i work as well. and is there any benefit we could get for the unborn baby.

frange

May 25, 2018
Please i need help...I'm moving to canada with a work permit together with my wife and daughter...we started the process last year and we should be travelling to Canada by July. but my wife is 3months pregnant already..i hope this wont affect us at the port of entry into canada. and i hope she can still work before having the baby while i work as well. and is there any benefit we could get for the unborn baby.
Nothing for now.... Which province?

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
Hi, they won't ask you on the port of entry if your wife is pregnant. However since you will just be arriving she won't be covered with free medical insurance yet. The free medical insurance is covered 3 months after you land. Which means you have to cover the whole prenatal chek up cost and its not cheap. She would be 6 months by then. I'm also pregnant but I'm covered with the medical insurance 3 mos after I landed.

smileyface19

Star Member
Oct 3, 2019
I forgot to mention im in BC. So there might be differences in rules for provinces.