+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child born abroad

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I suppose here I'm just confirming what I expect to be the case (from reading in various places).

I've recently had a child born abroad and would, of course, like to get citizenship for the wee one.

My situation: I was born abroad, but family was/is all Canadian (for well over a hundred years, not that that makes a difference I guess) - my parents were abroad briefly for graduate school. Returned to Canada when I was less than a year old.

As far as I read the docs and the law, if I were _naturalized_, I would be able to do so. But I believe my status was that I was 'registered as birth abroad' as both parents Canadian. No, I'm not abroad right now on service with the Canadian or provincial/territorial governments, but with an international organization.

Unfortunately we were not able to arrange for birth in Canada due to medical limitations.

Any thoughts? Any other avenues to pursue on this?

arambi

Aug 16, 2014
You can apply for PR for the child.
Now since child does not have to me residency obligations, I'm wondering when you will be able to apply for citizenship for the child?
Will let others comment...

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Thanks. Unfortunately no immediate plans to move back to Canada (although eventually).

Are you saying just apply for PR now and the residence obligations don't apply to a child? Sounds like that would be a major hole in the legislation, i.e. drive a truck through it, so I'm a bit skeptical it could be that easy.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

armoured said:
Thanks. Unfortunately no immediate plans to move back to Canada (although eventually).

Are you saying just apply for PR now and the residence obligations don't apply to a child? Sounds like that would be a major hole in the legislation, i.e. drive a truck through it, so I'm a bit skeptical it could be that easy.
1. As your child is the 2nd generation born abroad, s/he has no claim to Canadian citizenship
2. You can't sponsor the child until you are residing in Canada for Permanent Residence.
3. So there is really nothing you can do at this point as residency for the child.

abcd2000

Jul 17, 2015
Hello Everyone,

sorry since I did not know how to start a new topic, I will ask my question here .
I am a canadian citizen (not by birth) and my wife is not. we plan to deliver our baby outside Canada .My question is : my child will be a Canadian citizen?
Thank you for your time to answer this question.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abcd2000 said:
Hello Everyone,

sorry since I did not know how to start a new topic, I will ask my question here .
I am a canadian citizen (not by birth) and my wife is not. we plan to deliver our baby outside Canada .My question is : my child will be a Canadian citizen?
Thank you for your time to answer this question.
If you mean that you are a naturalized citizen of Canada, yes, a child born outside of Canada will be a Canadian citizen. If you are a citizen by descent (descended from someone born in Canada), then the child will not be Canadian.

abcd2000

Jul 17, 2015
Thank you alphazip for your reply.
Yes I am naturalized citizen of Canada,but i find a quote in Canadian website regarding changes that made in 2015 is said " after the first generation' I did not understand the meaning if my child will be "after first generation"?
(my wife is not canadian citizen nor permanent resident )

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

abcd2000 said:
Yes I am naturalized citizen of Canada,but i find a quote in Canadian website regarding changes that made in 2015 is said " after the first generation' I did not understand the meaning if my child will be "after first generation"?
1. The child will be the first generation born abroad, s/he won't be able to pass citizenship on to any of his/her children born abroad.

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
abcd2000 said:
Adding to what PMM wrote, your child will be Canadian, but if he/she then has a child outside of Canada, that child (your grandchild) would not be Canadian. In other words, Canadian citizenship will stop with your child. If your child has a child in Canada, or if the other parent of the child was born or naturalized in Canada, then that child would be Canadian.