+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Born Abroad to Canadian Parent - Child is now sick- HELP!!

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
My daughter was born outside Canada where they still live. She is 18 months old. I am a naturalized Canadian & I and the mother are married in a traditional ceremony (with wedding video to prove). I am now back in Canada whereas mother & child are both in South Africa. The child is now sick with a mouth infection that does not seem to be healing and am worried about the care she is getting.

I am in the process of applying for a citizenship certificate for her. How can I bring her to Canada in the shortest possible time? Since she is too young to come without her mother, will the mother be granted a visa easily?? Whats the best course of action? HELP!!!! Am at my wits end!!!! :'(

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
You can apply for a facilitation visa for your child or a temporary passport at the Canadian embassy that handles S-Africa.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Note that processing time for facilitation visas is generally quite short according to the CIC website - measured in hours or at most a couple of days.

Canadian citizens abroad are the responsibility of the Department of Foreign Affairs and
International Trade, and not CIC. A Canadian citizen who wishes to travel to Canada should be
referred to the Consular section if they do not have a Canadian passport. There are, however,
exceptional circumstances where CIC can facilitate the travel of a dual national by placing a
facilitation visa counterfoil into the passport of the Canadian's other nationality.

Issuance of a facilitation visa is not to be done merely for the convenience of the client, but in
cases where not facilitating their travel would result in undue hardship (usually created through no
fault of the client). In addition, it is not the policy of CIC to assist persons who wish to 'hide' the
fact of their Canadian citizenship from a foreign government that does not permit dual citizenship.

Before considering the issuance of a facilitation visa, officers must verify the status and identity of
the applicant through written confirmation from a consular officer that the client has a Canadian
passport on record or documentary evidence of citizenship (DEC).

Some circumstances that might warrant the issuance of a facilitation visa include the following:
• when new, replacement or emergency passports cannot be issued in a sufficiently timely
fashion and where the travel is urgent:
♦ for Canadians in distress (lost/stolen documents);
♦ for dual nationals coming to Canada for the first time;
♦ for dual nationals who did not obtain a Canadian passport prior to leaving Canada; and
• for children born in Canada to foreign nationals who have returned to their country and do not
wish to 'claim' the citizenship automatically granted to Canadian born children.

Dual nationals who are required to use their foreign passport for entry to/exit from their country of
second citizenship can show their Canadian passport to airline officials to facilitate the boarding of
a flight to Canada.

Facilitation visas should only be single-entry and valid for the period needed to travel.
Source: OP 11, Section 20.

Thus, you would take your child's South African passport to the Consulate or Embassy there, along with evidence of Canadian Citizenship, and request a facilitation visa as a "dual national coming to Canada for the first time".

You may also wish to verify the coverage of your child under the provincial health plan - otherwise you may be responsible for the medical costs.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

computergeek said:
See: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/resources/manuals/bulletins/2009/ob154.asp

Note that processing time for facilitation visas is generally quite short according to the CIC website - measured in hours or at most a couple of days.

Source: OP 11, Section 20.

Thus, you would take your child's South African passport to the Consulate or Embassy there, along with evidence of Canadian Citizenship, and request a facilitation visa as a "dual national coming to Canada for the first time".

You may also wish to verify the coverage of your child under the provincial health plan - otherwise you may be responsible for the medical costs.
1. The facilitation visa for the child won't be a big deal, but the TRV for the mother probably will be the stumbling block.

Mordred

Nov 15, 2012
Hi,

If I wait & get the Cert of Citizenship for the child - will it make any difference in facilitating the TRV for the mother?

Emman

PMM said:
Hi

1. The facilitation visa for the child won't be a big deal, but the TRV for the mother probably will be the stumbling block.

computergeek

VIP Member
Jan 31, 2012
Vancouver BC
Category........
Visa Office......
CPP-O/LA
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
06-03-2012
AOR Received.
21-06-2012
File Transfer...
21-6-2012
Med's Done....
11-02-2012
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
26-09-2012
VISA ISSUED...
10-10-2012
LANDED..........
13-10-2012
Mordred said:
If I wait & get the Cert of Citizenship for the child - will it make any difference in facilitating the TRV for the mother?
No. If they refuse the TRV, you could request a TRP - it is discretionary but it overcomes inadmissibility and you would have both H&C grounds - welfare of the child, as well as early admission grounds - assuming the PR application is already in process and there are no known issues.

Msafiri

Champion Member
Nov 18, 2012
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Morded,

Sorry to read that your daughter is unwell. South Africa is somewhat of a paradox being a mixture of 1st, 2nd and 3rd world....can your daughter get treatment locally at one of the quality hospitals pending her entry to Canada? Which part of RSA are they in? Also it may be helpful to know if you have applied to sponsor your spouse to Canada and what this stage is at. It may be the process can be expedited on medical grounds but again it depends.