+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child birth without OHIP

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Have you found a midwife yet? They are in extremely short supply and you don't have much time.
Yes scylla, thankfully Community midwives toronto has given us an appointment on Monday and the good part is they are associated with the same hospital in which I was about to pay cash for the delivery expense. Fingers crossed. Hope everything goes fine.

Reactions: scylla

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Yes scylla, thankfully Community midwives toronto has given us an appointment on Monday and the good part is they are associated with the same hospital in which I was about to pay cash for the delivery expense. Fingers crossed. Hope everything goes fine.
Good news.

Make sure you still have savings available to pay for a hospital birth (although hopefully you won't need them). If there are any complications with the home birth with the midwife, you'll end up in hospital all the same.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Good news.

Make sure you still have savings available to pay for a hospital birth (although hopefully you won't need them). If there are any complications with the home birth with the midwife, you'll end up in hospital all the same.

I would definitely not opt for home birth, would rather request for a hospital labour room

jods24

Jul 24, 2018
Are you sure that you're not eligible for OHIP? I live in New Brunswick, and my husband is currently waiting for his PR to be approved (it'll be another year). He has a Visitor Record and we were able to register him for Medicare (NB's OHIP). There was no 3month waiting period (we got his card in the mail 2 weeks later) as he was arriving from out of the country, not from another province.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Are you sure that you're not eligible for OHIP? I live in New Brunswick, and my husband is currently waiting for his PR to be approved (it'll be another year). He has a Visitor Record and we were able to register him for Medicare (NB's OHIP). There was no 3month waiting period (we got his card in the mail 2 weeks later) as he was arriving from out of the country, not from another province.
Rules are very different for OHIP. Definitely not eligible.

bdidol

Champion Member
Jun 2, 2019
their website says that you're eligible if you've submitted an application for permanent residence.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

just trying to help. ;)
Please do not mislead, as this particular points have lots of if's and but's.

To the poster, you can go to a service ontario office with your AoR, if you here for 153 days and claim the below from OHIP site. There is almost 100% chance they will deny your request. You should start plan to go back home for the delivery. Making your kid a Canadian citizen is not worth the risk of life of your child.

You may be eligible for the Ontario Health Insurance Plan (OHIP) if you have submitted an application for permanent residence in Canada, and Citizenship and Immigration Canada has confirmed that you meet the eligibility requirements to apply for permanent residence in Canada.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
It seems like the husband does have a work visa in Canada so they won't be responsible for NICU bills. Complications due happen with women though so you could still end up with a large bill. NICU bills are pretty brutal though since the babies need a lot of attention and often
I would definitely not opt for home birth, would rather request for a hospital labour room
Then you’d still need to pay for the hospital delivery minus the doctor and nurse. You still could need intervention and epidural so the fees could be the same.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Also think this loophole should close eventually. Not a Ford fan but can’t imagine that this would be something that they wouldn’t easily close like the minimal coverage ohip provides out of Canada. Just doesn’t make sense when prioritizing focusing services on those who have OHIP in Ontario.

Knowing some midwives I am sure they take on extra patients when they know they don’t have OHIP because they do care about the health of moms and babies. Makes me mad that those people are not asked if they can pay if they are an extra patient because I know many can pay but have sourced midwives because they prefer not to pay. People on this forum have admitted it. Knowing how many crazy hours midwives already work I would hope they would want renumeration if possible especially if this is an extra patient for what can end up being 48 hrs+ of work.

Just realized you said your appointment is on Monday which is a holiday. Just proof about the dedication and makes me wonder more if you are being added onto their patient loads. So many moms that I have known in the gta have not been able to get a midwife even very early on in their pregnancy.

Last edited:

Fizzybe

Star Member
Feb 23, 2019
Toronto, ON
their website says that you're eligible if you've submitted an application for permanent residence.

http://www.health.gov.on.ca/en/public/programs/ohip/ohipfaq_mn.aspx

just trying to help. ;)

You need AIP for that, AOR is not enough.

To OP, if you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy so far and are okay with trying non-interventional birth, then I think the Toronto Birth Centre is a good option since they are a non-profit and don't charge you extra. They do send you to the hospital in case of emergencies. Keep in mind even with uncomplicated pregnancies epidural is a good idea (and emergency c section more likely) if your baby is in a posterior or transverse position but if that's not the case and you think you could handle the pain, you could give it a try. That's IF you're able to cover the hospital expenses if need be. These would include emergency c-sections, inductions, NICU stays, etc. They do have alternative forms of pain relief such as hot tubs, birthing balls, TENS machine, laughing gas etc.

Good luck mama! I am 39 weeks pregnant and will be trying the no epidural route, and I'll be thinking of you! :)

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need AIP for that, AOR is not enough.

To OP, if you have had an uncomplicated pregnancy so far and are okay with trying non-interventional birth, then I think the Toronto Birth Centre is a good option since they are a non-profit and don't charge you extra. They do send you to the hospital in case of emergencies. Keep in mind even with uncomplicated pregnancies epidural is a good idea (and emergency c section more likely) if your baby is in a posterior or transverse position but if that's not the case and you think you could handle the pain, you could give it a try. That's IF you're able to cover the hospital expenses if need be. These would include emergency c-sections, inductions, NICU stays, etc. They do have alternative forms of pain relief such as hot tubs, birthing balls, TENS machine, laughing gas etc.

Good luck mama! I am 39 weeks pregnant and will be trying the no epidural route, and I'll be thinking of you! :)
Most midwife practices are fully booked for your due date very quickly so if you don’t get into a practices in the first few months you are only get in if someone near your due date has to transition to an OB because they no longer are considered a low risk pregnancy. This spot was either due to someone dropping out very recently near the due date or a midwife willing to take on another patient for that month thinking that they don’t have the resources to access care otherwise. Midwives often work 80 hour weeks so they can only accept so many women due per month in their practices.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017
Check out the Toronto Birth Centre. They might have options for you. But they don't offer interventions like epidural if you're into that.

Yes. I got to know about birth centers aswell. My first preference would be to have the delivery in a hospital labor room. Thanks for your input.

KMKBALAMURUGAN

May 18, 2017

Thanks for your input. OHIP is a lot different and I'm pretty sure, my wife is not eligible.