+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child birth after COPR

kaspermethen

Dec 19, 2019
Hello.
Me and my wife got our COPRs, and we had our child soon after we got our passports back. As per the rules, we have to inform IRCC about the birth of the baby, but the problem is that we do not have sufficient proof of funds for 3 people, as we both got laid off after the COVID-19 lockdowns, and have even had to use some of the POF we already had. If I go on my own (wife remains behind with baby) and land on the current COPR to work and raise some money, is there a way I can bring our baby to Canada later? And will my wife's COPR be affected by me landing first? Complicated situation but to get some suggestions, thanks in advance.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you land without having the child added to the COPR you and your wife will be banned from ever sponsoring the child.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
If you land without having the child added to your COPR, the only way the child come come to Canada as a PR in the future would be as an economic immigrant or through a study visa that becomes a work visa. They would not be allowed to be sponsored by you or your wife and would need to qualify on their own, in likely 20+ years, for immigration.

kaspermethen

Dec 19, 2019
If you land without having the child added to your COPR, the only way the child come come to Canada as a PR in the future would be as an economic immigrant or through a study visa that becomes a work visa. They would not be allowed to be sponsored by you or your wife and would need to qualify on their own, in likely 20+ years, for immigration.
You're right, but for now if there is no other way around this, then it's better the two of us can go than none of us at all. Posted this to see if there are any other options available to us.

k.h.p.

VIP Member
Mar 1, 2019
Canada
You're right, but for now if there is no other way around this, then it's better the two of us can go than none of us at all. Posted this to see if there are any other options available to us.
You get that you'd never be able to sponsor your child? And that not having POF may cause you issues at the point of entry?

kaspermethen

Dec 19, 2019
You get that you'd never be able to sponsor your child? And that not having POF may cause you issues at the point of entry?
Yes I do get that I'd be unable to sponsor the child, but the other side of the coin is not being able to go myself either, which is an even bigger disaster. I'm trying to pick the least harmful option, because it seems there is no pleasant outcome from here. I have enough POF to show for two people on the COPR for now, so POF at point of entry will not be an issue.