+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child benefits during the absence in Canada

ravib4upu

Star Member
Jun 15, 2017
Hi
Me and my wife are living in Quebec with a 2 years old child. Both of our status is "open work permit" and valid for one more year. Currently we are receiving child benefits from both Quebec and Federal.

My wife wants to go to India stay there for one year . During her stay in India her work permit will be expired after 8 months. My question is : Do we still receive child benifits during her absence in Canada?

I will be staying and working an paying taxes its just my wife and daughter will be away. In my opinion government should still pay because child is living with the Mother and father is in Canada and paying taxes.

Please give me some suggestions if possible some web links to calrify even better.

Thanks

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
No you don't receive child benefit if your child is not in Canada because the benefits are supposed to offset the high cost of raising children in Canada. If you don't advise CRA when your wife and child leave and still receive CCB you will be committing fraud and when CRA finds out you will have to pay back the money and a penalty. They also stop receiving GST/HST credit. You pay taxes because you still have access to healthcare, infrastructure, etc. so the argument doesn't make sense.

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview.html