+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefits- Advice needed

KDSH

Dec 3, 2019
Hi,

Our family (Husband, Wife and two kids), became PR (did soft landing) in June 2021.
We moved to settle in Canada last month- July 7th, 2022.

At present we are in Canada, applied for and waiting for PR card and SIN (won't get SIN without PR Card).

Can some expert advice me on the Child benefit? Is it a cash benefit paid every month or is it a tax benefit that we can get at the time of tax payment?
If it is a monthly payment then how can we apply for it and what documents are needed?

Thank You!

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi,

Our family (Husband, Wife and two kids), became PR (did soft landing) in June 2021.

At present we are in Canada, applied for and waiting for PR card and SIN (won't get SIN without PR Card).

Can some expert advice me on the Child benefit? Is it a cash benefit paid every month or is it a tax benefit that we can get at the time of tax payment?
If it is a monthly payment then how can we apply for it and what documents are needed?

Thank You!
Monthly benefit. You can find detailed information, including how to apply, here:

https://www.canada.ca/en/revenue-agency/services/child-family-benefits/canada-child-benefit-overview.html

starlordavuthu

Apr 13, 2020
Hi,

Thank You!
Err no, you don't need PR card to get SIN, I walked into a Service Canada, showed COPR/Passport and got SIN on the spot.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
Err no, you don't need PR card to get SIN, I walked into a Service Canada, showed COPR/Passport and got SIN on the spot.
It's a different situation, Service Canada will only accept COPRs that are relatively recent (presumably one year from landing date, but I'm not certain about that - only way to check si with service canada). So some will have to get the PR card first. Or may have to.

I'm vocal here that this is stupid and perhaps there is a way to push government, but it's not a settled question.

In the meantime: simple lesson is that EVERYONE who becomes a PR should apply for SIN right away - soft landing or not, underage or not. Just do it because problems can and do arise later.

Reactions: canuck78

dugg1402

Dec 28, 2017
Hi,

Thank You!
You can apply for the CCB by filling up the form RC66 and sending to the CRA. You might also consider attaching the Residence proof as well, which could be any Utility bill or bank statement. This is needed to fulfill criteria "Resident for tax purposes". Hope this helps !

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You’re going to have to wait until you get your SIN# to get CCB. It will be based on your international income going back 2 years so if you had a decent salary and given the exchange rate you should expect to receive a lot.Eastman the maximum about since it is based on income.

Hopeful007

Feb 16, 2019
You’re going to have to wait until you get your SIN# to get CCB. It will be based on your international income going back 2 years so if you had a decent salary and given the exchange rate you should expect to receive a lot.Eastman the maximum about since it is based on income.
I don't get this part "expect to receive a lot.Eastman the maximum". Was that a typo?
High income people get less CCB, if income is very high, it basically becomes zero. It's a benefit for low income parents.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
I don't get this part "expect to receive a lot.Eastman the maximum". Was that a typo?
High income people get less CCB, if income is very high, it basically becomes zero. It's a benefit for low income parents.
Yes typo, should have have shouldn’t. Many people don’t realize CCB is a sliding scale based on income so the majority of people do not get the full amount. If you were working a well paid job inUS dollars the amount of CCB will not be significant. Better than nothing though.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
It’s like the GST credit . Geared towards income . Higher your income, less you’ll receive , till you don’t qualify .

Reactions: canuck78