+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

child benefit

kabana

Dec 26, 2010
Hi all. A friend of mine landed to Canada this June. He applied to child benefit and received a letter from CRA saying that she is not eligible because they do not meet residency requirements. Please help me understand this

JMOBhatti

Oct 1, 2013
Category........
QSW
Visa Office......
HKG/LDN
NOC Code......
IELTS Request
No
Med's Done....
Alhamd o lillah
Interview........
No
Passport Req..
Alhamd o lillah
VISA ISSUED...
Alhamd o lillah
LANDED..........
Alhamd o lillah
kabana said:
Hi all. A friend of mine landed to Canada this June. He applied to child benefit and received a letter from CRA saying that she is not eligible because they do not meet residency requirements. Please help me understand this
Whats the status of your friend? Which province she is residing in? If she is on TRV, she has to wait for 18 months to be eligible for the child benefits. If she is PR, she has to contact and ask for a review in the CRA decision.

You can find the further information at the following links, please:

http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/cctb/
http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/uccb-puge/menu-eng.html

Rob_TO

VIP Member
Nov 7, 2012
Toronto
Category........
FAM
Visa Office......
Seoul, Korea
App. Filed.......
13-07-2012
AOR Received.
18-08-2012
File Transfer...
21-08-2012
Med's Done....
Sent with App
Passport Req..
N/R - Exempt
VISA ISSUED...
30-10-2012
LANDED..........
16-11-2012
mrbeachman said:
You need to live in Canada for 18 month to be eligible
That is only a requirement for temporary residents (like students or workers). Citizens and PRs are eligible for child benefits immediately upon establishing residency in Canada.

kabana said:
My friend is PR in Ontario
She should contact them again and explain she is a PR and resides in Ontario. As a PR she is eligible for benefits, so it sounds like CRA either thinks she's only a temporary visitor here, or that she doesn't actually live in Canada.