+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit while travelling outside Canada

Stardust2000

Sep 17, 2019
Sorry, I am new here and I dunno which forum to post under.
I would like to travel outside Canada with my kids for 1 yr. I know I am eligible to receive child benefit since we still have our home (factual residence) and my husband is working in Canada while we are away. My question is, if I ask CRA to stop the payment while we are away, will I be able to receive back all the money for the months I have been away once I return to canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You should be contacting CRA for them to assess whether you qualify for CCB when you are outside Canada with your children.

Apr 28, 2021
Sorry, I am new here and I dunno which forum to post under.
I would like to travel outside Canada with my kids for 1 yr. I know I am eligible to receive child benefit since we still have our home (factual residence) and my husband is working in Canada while we are away. My question is, if I ask CRA to stop the payment while we are away, will I be able to receive back all the money for the months I have been away once I return to canada?
Can you please tell me what you did I have same situation.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Can you please tell me what you did I have same situation.
You need to speak to CRA. They will determine if you qualify to receive CBB wen you leave Canada. Given that CBB is in place to help with the high cost of raising children in Canada it is likely you won't receive CBB if you and your child are outside Canada for a year.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Exactly I don't want to receive any benefits as long as I am away. I wonder if I can opt out of benefits when I travel until I return?
Yes you can put your benefits on hold. Would suggest calling CRA, explaining your situation and they will determine whether you qualify to keep receiving CCB or will put the payments on hold. Once you return you would call and restart your CBB.