+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Child Benefit while travelling outside Canada

Stardust2000

Sep 17, 2019
I would like to travel outside Canada with my kids for 1 yr. I know I am eligible to receive child benefit since we still have our home and my husband is working in Canada while we are away. My question is, if I ask CRA to stop the payment while we are away, will I be able to receive all the money for the months I have been away once I return to canada?

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
You need to contact CRA and they will decide whether you qualify for CCB for that year. You and your child may also need to requalify for health coverage when you return. You will have to look into your particular province. Many only allow you to be out of the province for 6-8 months depending on the circumstances. Having a valid healthcard doesn’t mean you qualify to receive services.

torontosm

Champion Member
Apr 3, 2013
I would like to travel outside Canada with my kids for 1 yr. I know I am eligible to receive child benefit since we still have our home and my husband is working in Canada while we are away. My question is, if I ask CRA to stop the payment while we are away, will I be able to receive all the money for the months I have been away once I return to canada?
If the child is outside of the country, you are not eligible for the child benefit, regardless of where your husband is or what he is doing.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
If the child is outside of the country, you are not eligible for the child benefit, regardless of where your husband is or what he is doing.
A little more complicated than that but OP thinks they are guaranteed CCB which I don’t think is correct. It will be up to CRA. You must contact them before you leave.