+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

child benefit for newcomers

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
hello

I am planning to land in toronto next month. as job market is really bad there I am really concerned about my family.
I would like to inquire following things from experienced members here:

1. will newcomers get child benifit and what is the procedure??(service of any lawyer needed)

2. i need to get employment first than i can claim child benifit or there is any rule like first 6 months not included??

3.if my wife is not working as have 2 kids below 6 years than any specially tex reduction??

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Arriving with your children as PR's, you can apply right away, see http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/bnfts/cctb/fq_qlfyng-eng.html

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
Thanks a lot for the link.
i went through these webpages and got lot of information. but still according to my understanding it seems that I or my spouse need to first file tax in canada before applying for child benifit .It is required to fill income earned also so how can i apply straight from first month after landing.

pls advise.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you go to the link that I gave you and click on "8. How do I apply for the Canada Child Tax Benefit?" it explains to you that if you recently became a resident, you should fill out the form at http://www.cra-arc.gc.ca/E/pbg/tf/rc66sch/README.html which asks for your income in old country for the past two years.

ummi

Star Member
Mar 29, 2012
Thanks Leon

But is there any specific reason for asking this. I can be very rich or very poor in my country:) so it means if i had a good job and was earning well here they expect us to use our savings.

is it also effects on how much funds i bought at time of first landing with me??

Once again thanks for your help i am really confused as every giving a scary picture about job and i have 4 children.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ummi said:
But is there any specific reason for asking this. I can be very rich or very poor in my country:) so it means if i had a good job and was earning well here they expect us to use our savings.

is it also effects on how much funds i bought at time of first landing with me??

Once again thanks for your help i am really confused as every giving a scary picture about job and i have 4 children.
The reason they ask for it is because they need some stick to measure how much you are entitled to. They can not just assume that you will stay jobless for your first year in Canada and need maximum help. Immigration made sure you prove you have funds to support yourself at the start and they probably figure if you made good money in your former country, you will also find a way to make good money in Canada. I don't see them asking anywhere for how much funds you brought with you so that is irrelevant.

VisaApprovalSent

Star Member
May 12, 2009
Edmonton
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
ummi said:
Thanks Leon

Talk to someone who you know or a settlement officer he or she can tell you the details about filling the child benifit form.Indeed the amount u get will be very much benificial during the initial time after landing.

9jcanada

Champion Member
Oct 16, 2010
Calgary Alberta
App. Filed.......
12/01/2011
AOR Received.
10/06/2011
Med's Request
09/02/2012
Med's Done....
14/02/2012
Interview........
N/A
Passport Req..
26/03/2012
VISA ISSUED...
04/05/2012
LANDED..........
August 2012
ummi said:
Thanks a lot for the link.
i went through these webpages and got lot of information. but still according to my understanding it seems that I or my spouse need to first file tax in canada before applying for child benifit .It is required to fill income earned also so how can i apply straight from first month after landing.

pls advise.
Hi,

Check which benefit you may be entitled to by using the self service benefit link below.

http://www.canadabenefits.gc.ca

9j

Dave n Ailsa

Jun 8, 2012
Glasgow, Scorland
Category........
Visa Office......
London
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
25-11-2011
This is an interesting topic which I hadn't thought of.

I will be looking at all the links, thanks.