+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Checking my Soft Landing Plan

anjocan

Oct 28, 2017
My COPR is expiring in December, and I am planning to do a soft landing this week. I plan to enter in the Niagara Falls border using my car. My spouse and I are on H4 and H1 correspondingly. Our kids are US citizens.
  1. I am planning to give an acquaintance's address to mail the PR address. Upon receiving the PR card, they will be either mailing the PR card to our US address or send it through someone visiting the US. I am guessing this is legally okay to do based on online searches? Should I be telling the Canadian border agent that the PR card will be mailed or carried from Canada to the US? Or, should I apply for PRTD the next time I travel to Canada? I am planning to state my travel purpose is to finalize the PR process, apply for SIN card. And, our plan is to move when either one of us get a job in Canada or by summer. The reason for the timeline is so that we don't need to switch school for my elder kid based on where we are going to get a job and have our primary residence.
  2. I am going to do a Covid test 72 hours prior to our travel to Canada. I am planning to stay in Canada for 2-3 days. Do I need to do a Covid test in Canada before re-entering the US? Is it possible to do a walk-in or schedule appointment to get a Covid test done in Canada? What will be the recommendation here?
  3. As I am on the H1b and are accompanying the U.S citizen kids, I believe I qualify for travel as essential purposes. Do I need to carry any extra documentation to re-enter US that what I usually do?
  4. As I am going to stay in Canada for 2-3 days, I believe I will be asked for vaccination proof when we visit indoor/outdoor settings such as hotels or restaurants. We are okay with showing the vaccination proof. Are there other restrictions in place that we need to consider before deciding to stay in Canada for 2-2 days?
  5. I am preparing my Goods To Follow list, and I am going to add my vehicle as Goods To Follow. I am planning to do the soft landing in the same vehicle. Are there any considerations on using this same vehicle vs renting a car to do the soft landing? As the vehicle is Goods To Follow, I don't believe I need to clear it with the US customs, I would rather not do it as I need the vehicle back in the US

anjocan

Oct 28, 2017
I have entered Canada through Peace bridge. The officer did not want to take my address to send PR card as I am visiting only for a few days. He gave me an address notification form though, and I am planning to fax it while in Canada.
I entered with a rented vehicle and was able to include the vehicle in the goods to follow list.
I was not asked vaccination proof anywhere yet, but we have not gone out much.

anjocan

Oct 28, 2017
We were asked the vaccination card pretty much anywhere we went.
On re-entering, I was only asked my visa stamps.

armoured

VIP Member
Feb 1, 2015
I have entered Canada through Peace bridge. The officer did not want to take my address to send PR card as I am visiting only for a few days. He gave me an address notification form though, and I am planning to fax it while in Canada.
You can certainly try that, although never clear if IRCC will finalize and send the PR card if not living in Canada (although I don't think they 'enforce' this carefully at all). Anyway no harm in trying (as long as you tell the truth).

The only real implication if you don't get it is needing to return at a land border with the stamped COPRs, but sounds like your plan is to arrive by car anyway.