+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Check on PR card status with Sydney directly? Told there might be a problem...

calismom

Feb 20, 2010
Hello,
We are waiting on the arrival of my husbands PR card - we have our move planned for October from the States. He "landed" on July 22 in Surrey, B.C. He called CIC today, and the guy he talked to said that his screen said " in Process" which he thought was weird because its supposed to only take 51 days. He thought his screen should say something else, apparently. So, he said he put a call into Sydney and we can expect a response in 2-4 weeks! We have rented our place, booked a moving truck, etc. etc. Now, I'm a little freaked out! Is there anyway I can find out from Sydney what the problem is, sooner than 2-4 weeks? Thanks all!

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

calismom said:
Hello,
We are waiting on the arrival of my husbands PR card - we have our move planned for October from the States. He "landed" on July 22 in Surrey, B.C. He called CIC today, and the guy he talked to said that his screen said " in Process" which he thought was weird because its supposed to only take 51 days. He thought his screen should say something else, apparently. So, he said he put a call into Sydney and we can expect a response in 2-4 weeks! We have rented our place, booked a moving truck, etc. etc. Now, I'm a little freaked out! Is there anyway I can find out from Sydney what the problem is, sooner than 2-4 weeks? Thanks all!
As you are entering Canada in a "non commercial vehicle" i.e. a truck, car all he has to show his COPR stapled in his passport when you arrive at the border.

calismom

Feb 20, 2010
Really? I hate to be a doubter, but are you sure? The COPR in his passport says "NOT VALID FOR TRAVEL" It would really be awful if we show up at the border with everything we own and two small children, to have him turned away - or worse yet - detained. I'm guessing the info I've heard about having to have the actual card, applies mostly because most people arrive by airplane? Also, is it expressly forbidden that he left the country without having the card first?

manianz47

Sep 15, 2008
(1) You can definitely depend on PMM's reply
(2) If you enter by Air, you may need additional travel documents. But if you are crossing by Land, only COPR and Passport should suffice.

All the best for the move

calismom

Feb 20, 2010
My deepest apologies if I've offended you, PMM! You've been nothing but helpful, and I really appreciate your taking the time to share your expertise with those of us in need of guidance! I suppose I'm just a little jumpy - this process seems to be frought with the danger of rejection at every turn. I'm certain you know whereof you speak. Thank you again. Perhaps I should just stop worrying and trust that if I've dotted all my "i"s and crossed all my "t"s, everything should fall into place. Sorry if I've implied that you didn't know your stuff - clearly, thats not the case.