Med's Done....
Upfront
Interview........
Waived
Passport Req..
DM on ECAS: 14-01-2017
VISA ISSUED...
COPR rec'd 04-02-2017
I was a naturalized citizen and applied for citizenship about 20 years ago. I may need to change my legal name and need to apply for a new citizenship certificate. However, the application form for the certificate asks a lot of questions about my parents and grandparents, which I have no idea about (esp the part regarding grandparents). Is there any way I can apply to check my old records with CIC way back when I first applied the first citizenship certificate in the attempt to retrieve the information?

alphazip

Champion Member
May 23, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, you can have a search made of citizenship records (see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/information/applications/search.asp). However, since the purpose of your application is to change your name on your certificate regarding citizenship that you already possess, information about your parents and grandparents isn't very important. What is important is that you send documents showing that you legally changed your name (see: http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?qnum=907&top=5).

What I would suggest is that you fill out all the information that applies to you, your acquisition of citizenship by naturalization, and your change of name. For the information that you don't know about your parents and grandparents, simply write "unknown." If they were not Canadian citizens, write "not a Canadian citizen."

If you still want to have a search made of citizenship records, if you do it at the same time as you apply for a new citizenship certificate, there is no charge for the search. Write a cover letter explaining everything and why you're applying for a search.