+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Check immigration office upon arrival at YYZ airport from a trip?

essamohy

Jan 4, 2024
Hello, for the second time in six years as a permanent resident, I am being asked to check review with the immigration office upon arrival at YYZ airport!
My PR card was successfully renewed in December 2021, and I applied for citizenship in July 2023. In fact, nothing happened during this check with the immigration office, not even a single question! The officer simply took my PR and passport, checked his screen, gave them back to me and said 'you are good to go!' and the last time, just stamped my passport with an arrival stamp with the arrival date and handwritten PR--------!
Is there any explanation for this? As I mentioned, it started happening suddenly only with the last two arrivals.

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Hello, for the second time in six years as a permanent resident, I am being asked to check review with the immigration office upon arrival at YYZ airport!
My PR card was successfully renewed in December 2021, and I applied for citizenship in July 2023. In fact, nothing happened during this check with the immigration office, not even a single question! The officer simply took my PR and passport, checked his screen, gave them back to me and said 'you are good to go!' and the last time, just stamped my passport with an arrival stamp with the arrival date and handwritten PR--------!
Is there any explanation for this? As I mentioned, it started happening suddenly only with the last two arrivals.
Could be random or your file may be flagged.

Reactions: essamohy

Ponga

VIP Member
Oct 22, 2013
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Curious to know why your passport was stamped, since you are a PR.

Sep 20, 2023
Afghanistan
Category........
VISIT
Visa Office......
P03498330
NOC Code......
Job Offer........
Yes
Pre-Assessed..
Yes
App. Filed.......
3-8-2023
Doc's Request.
3-9-2023
Nomination.....
17-9-2023
AOR Received.
1-1-2022
IELTS Request
7-2-2022
File Transfer...
30-11-2020
Med's Request
30-11-2025
Med's Done....
9-24-2023
Interview........
12-11-2023
Passport Req..
P03498330
VISA ISSUED...
29-9-2023
LANDED..........
29-3-2024

foodie69

Champion Member
Dec 18, 2015
Nothing special about anything. They are just doing their job to keep the borders safe. Even Canadians get checked, happened to me and I am not complaining.

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
Do you really think this needs to even start a thread...

essamohy

Jan 4, 2024
Do you really think this needs to even start a thread...
Hi, In fact, yes! I believe that any new or unexpected action after a relatively normal life for seven years requires explanation. People's lives are not subject to new regulations without notice or explanation. New regulations are welcome, but to be explained/ notified. Why should I /others wait in a long queue after a 13 hours flight to be checked for unknown reason without simple explanation (flag for example)or even final resolution, simply ? ! I arrived with my family (4) , all with Canadian passports ( except me, still PR), but we were all directed to the immigration office just to check me ! Do you think this is normal or pleasant ? I don't !

essamohy

Jan 4, 2024
Nothing special about anything. They are just doing their job to keep the borders safe. Even Canadians get checked, happened to me and I am not complaining.
Thanks for reply. In fact it is not complaint, but try to understand as it happened suddenly for the 2nd time in a row after 7 years with no such action. Immigration department efforts are appreciated, but also we need to understand. I belive it is could be easily explained by the officer, but he did not either ask me a single question, or even explain why !

Last edited:

steaky

VIP Member
Nov 11, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, In fact, yes! I believe that any new or unexpected action after a relatively normal life for seven years requires explanation. People's lives are not subject to new regulations without notice or explanation. New regulations are welcome, but to be explained/ notified. Why should I /others wait in a long queue after a 13 hours flight to be checked for unknown reason without simple explanation (flag for example)or even final resolution, simply ? ! I arrived with my family (4) , all with Canadian passports ( except me, still PR), but we were all directed to the immigration office just to check me ! Do you think this is normal or pleasant ? I don't !
Next time, you can try a different airport in returning Canada. YYZ is always busy. Last time at YVR, there's nobody queuing ahead of us.

Copingwithlife

VIP Member
Jul 29, 2018
Earth
And THIS is your problem ? In your life ?

Sweet mother of Jesus I’d kill to just have that as THE problem I'm dealing with
Everyone is a martyr these days

Reactions: foodie69

essamohy

Jan 4, 2024
And THIS is your problem ? In your life ?

Sweet mother of Jesus I’d kill to just have that as THE problem I'm dealing with
Everyone is a martyr these days
NO, it is not my sole problem ! but this is the type of problems/questions related to this page !

Taran D

VIP Member
Oct 1, 2020
This is normal, everyone is subjected to get questioned and checked when entering borders whichever nationality or gender you are..
They are simply doing their jobs...

Reactions: foodie69