This is my friend's real experience:

This is how I got my pay from that Vancouver Peaceful restaruant:

"How long did you work that day? 3 hours?"
"No, 3 hours and 40 minutes."
"Sorry, I lost the record."

"So it's 6 bulks an hour."
"What?"
"It's B.C. minimum training wage.6 bulks an hour for employee in training."

"I saw it online. It's entry level pay, for people who starts their 1st job. So I have my previous job paystub to show you..."
"Oh, yes. I saw it online,too. But you know we trained you, you used my time. During that time, I could have done some other work. Actually that day we could have schedualed someone else to work. So one-hour training time is not paid."
"You just trained me no more than 30 minutes."
"Okay. So 3 and half hours minus..."
"3 hours and 40 minutes."
"Oh, okay. so 4o minutes is 0.4 hour...It's $24.8, I will give you $25."

Fine, fine.

This is probably how they get rich. This is why they were so happy when I asked if they were hiring. They are really nice. They schedual you to give you a chance to try even when they can schedual someone who is skilled. And they don't tell you how much you will be paid before you start your trial work.

They always lose the record of how long you have worked. They always make the mistakes that your working time is less than yourself recorded.

They never know the entry level wage thing more than you do, but they do know there is such a thing in the world.

They are not good in math. They count one hour as 100 minutes.

In the end, they pay you cents more then you should be paid to show how generous they are. And they are still nice even remeber to ask you if you wanna have something to eat before you walk out.

Finally I got $25, $5 less than the law told me.

We have to be careful when looking for a job, especially in small someplaces that only have a few employees. Be sure how much you will be paied before you start , even the employer just says that you are given a chance to have a try. Lots those kind employers abuse the labour laws.

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you look at http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/facshts/firstjob.htm you see that the 6 bucks an hour (not bulks) is only for people who have had less than 500 hours of paid work experience in their lifes. Work outside BC or outside Canada counts too:

I have worked outside BC - does this count?

All paid employment, regardless of where you worked counts. This includes work in B.C. Canada or another country.
If you have worked more than 500 hours in your life and you can prove it, then you are entitled to the regular minimum wage of $8 per hour and they can not schedule unpaid training as far as I know.

Know your rights and if you think you are being cheated, call the employment standards people. They will help you. In BC you can find them here: http://www.labour.gov.bc.ca/esb/contact/branch.htm

bernard2009

Oct 20, 2009
Canada,Calgary,AB
Category........
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
NEED ADVICE

Good day to all Kababayan,

I am Bernardo Palomera currently working in QATAR.I have employer in CANADA but im just waiting my LMO from my employer by next year of JANUARY 2010. my question is?

I need to pay the amount of 110,000 pesos my agency in the philippines for my settlement in CANADA?

Please I need your response as soon as possible!
please riply to my e-mail:bernard_palomera @ yahoo.com

THANKS AND MERRY X-MASS TO ALL!!

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Some provinces in Canada make it illegal for you to have to pay an employment agency to find you a job but I have heard it is very common to have to pay if you are outside Canada. If this is what you are being offered, you can try to find another agent who is cheaper.

The work permit itself is not very expensive, $150. Then you can calculate the cost of applying for LMO, for filling out documents, collecting information, making phonecalls to look for a job for you etc. and come up with a very big number.

job_seeker

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2009
Leon said:
Some provinces in Canada make it illegal for you to have to pay an employment agency to find you a job but I have heard it is very common to have to pay if you are outside Canada. If this is what you are being offered, you can try to find another agent who is cheaper.

The work permit itself is not very expensive, $150. Then you can calculate the cost of applying for LMO, for filling out documents, collecting information, making phonecalls to look for a job for you etc. and come up with a very big number.
Hi,

I haven't seen any schedule of fees for an employer to file for a Labour Market Opinion. But yes I have read an article before where an applicant as a live-in caregiver exposed one nanny agency who's charging applicants fees but their website says otherwise. The nanny agency claimed it is for processing the applicant caregivers' papers.

To the OP:

Maybe you have entered into an agreement with the agency for them to look for an employer for you. Make sure that your agency is legally allowed to recruit. There have been many a heartache for people wanting to work in Canada, had entered into agreements with agencies, paid big bucks (by the Filipino standard at least), and then found a non-existent employer or the agency contact person nowhere to be found or has suddenly been sooooooo busy can not answer communications. Php110,000.00 is roughly Cdn$2500.00. I have heard of some agencies charging as much as Cdn$5,000.00 to bring the foreign worker to Canada.