+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Work permit

QEman

Mar 10, 2024
Hello.

I am a truck driver and got Canadian visa, based on LMIA. I am out of Canada yet. I have waited IRCC’s decision for a long time and now I have other employer with better conditions. New employer has LMIA too. But provinces are different.
Which ways do I have to change employers without creation new application? I don’t want to wait again.
Could I use visa, which is already in my passport, fly to Canada and give in airport new LMIA and job offer for getting work permit?

Thank you.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Hello.

I am a truck driver and got Canadian visa, based on LMIA. I am out of Canada yet. I have waited IRCC’s decision for a long time and now I have other employer with better conditions. New employer has LMIA too. But provinces are different.
Which ways do I have to change employers without creation new application? I don’t want to wait again.
Could I use visa, which is already in my passport, fly to Canada and give in airport new LMIA and job offer for getting work permit?

Thank you.
So you have an approved work permit since you plan to fly to Canada? You can only use it for your first employer. You cannot switch it to another. LMIA is not a work permit.

Reactions: QEman

QEman

Mar 10, 2024
So you have an approved work permit since you plan to fly to Canada? You can only use it for your first employer. You cannot switch it to another. LMIA is not a work permit.
Thank you.
Officer in airport cannot give work permit for other company?

The second question: what if I get WP and enter to Canada through the first company, could I change WP inside Canada, for example on border with US?
Or could I come to first employer, start to work and start new application inside Canada? As I saw on canada.ca process inside Canada is too faster, than outside.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Thank you.
Officer in airport cannot give work permit for other company?

The second question: what if I get WP and enter to Canada through the first company, could I change WP inside Canada, for example on border with US?
Or could I come to first employer, start to work and start new application inside Canada? As I saw on canada.ca process inside Canada is too faster, than outside.
No. CBSA cannot give a work permit for another employer. You must apply through IRCC.

To enter or even board the plane, you may be asked to show proof of employment with original employer. Best to get permit before you leave Canada.

QEman

Mar 10, 2024
No. CBSA cannot give a work permit for another employer. You must apply through IRCC.

To enter or even board the plane, you may be asked to show proof of employment with original employer. Best to get permit before you leave Canada.
This is my first work permit. I have all documents from original employer. It is not a problem to show proofs.

Could you give me a piece of advice please how to change employer in my situation faster? Start now new application could delay me for 1 year again. It is not a good way for me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
This is my first work permit. I have all documents from original employer. It is not a problem to show proofs.

Could you give me a piece of advice please how to change employer in my situation faster? Start now new application could delay me for 1 year again. It is not a good way for me.
Then why are you not working for the first employer?So you have an approved LMIA for the second employer? If so you apply now or try to enter (may be denied). Then you can try applying from within Canada or flag poling (if you are eligible) at a land border.

QEman

Mar 10, 2024
Then why are you not working for the first employer?So you have an approved LMIA for the second employer? If so you apply now or try to enter (may be denied). Then you can try applying from within Canada or flag poling (if you are eligible) at a land border.
I can start to work for the first employer. But the second offered me better conditions, I don’t mean few hundred bucks, there is salary x1.5 and benefits.
I don’t have yet LMIA from the second company, because I am trying to understand what to do. The second company is ready to send it to me.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
I can start to work for the first employer. But the second offered me better conditions, I don’t mean few hundred bucks, there is salary x1.5 and benefits.
I don’t have yet LMIA from the second company, because I am trying to understand what to do. The second company is ready to send it to me.
Well you need a LMIA and approved work permit fro the second employer. Your choice.

QEman

Mar 10, 2024
What is your opinion, which way is more realistic:
-Show two job offers in an airport, say that both companies wait me and it will be officer’s decision which approve.
-Enter to Canada and go to border with the US a little bit later, ask them to change WP.
-Enter to canada and make new online application on ircc.

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
What is your opinion, which way is more realistic:
-Show two job offers in an airport, say that both companies wait me and it will be officer’s decision which approve.
-Enter to Canada and go to border with the US a little bit later, ask them to change WP.
-Enter to canada and make new online application on ircc.
CBSA will only stamp the one where you have a work permit. They will not decide so it is based on your current permit.
You can try and flagpole and it may or may not be approved
You can make an online application and continue working with first employer.