changing work/employer

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
When I recieve a work permit on a certain job and employer, can I later change it ? For example change occupation in the same company, or change company ? Do I need to go out of Canada and apply for new WP, or simply do that during my stay in Canada ?. And the other thing that I'm thinking :
I's my employer is somehow responsible for me while I stay in Canada ? Like, i had an accident on workplace, and I'm in a coma for 20 years, do he have to pay for that ? Or i make some debts, loses (I'm of course not planning to do :) ) Is he responsible for that ? I've talked yesterday with someone from Canada and they seemed very interested in responsibility things

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
If you get a low skilled work permit I believe that they are responsible for your flight home and possibly finding you housing that you can afford on your salary. If you are on a skilled work permit, they are not responsible for anything.

They have the right to lay you off at any time same as any other employee. If you collect debts, the employer is in no way responsible. If you have a workplace accident, it will be paid for through workmens comp, same as any other workplace accident.

What happens if you want to change jobs, either because you find a better one or you are laid off from the first one, you need a new LMO approved for you and then you need to apply for a new work permit. People who are visa except can get a new work permit simply by taking the LMO to the border but if you are not visa exempt, you could apply from within Canada online or through the mail.

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi, thanks for response !

It's a b skill level occupation, at least it's here on this list : soscanada2000.com/migration/newact/skill/occu/skillevl/b.html, but I don't know is it hi or low skilled permit, is that what You ask. I'm trying to go in as a temporary worker, but like I've said possible employer want's to be safe, and don't know much about TFW, and resposibilities. It's a good news for me that he is not responsible for any money loses things. The best would be that they are not responsible for anything, I'm not sure did I get it right about accidents on the workplace, what is workmens comp. ? Visa exempt ? I have a biometric passport, and I don't need a Visa ,that's at least what I know :)

Thanks for help again, how You know all this things ?:)

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
B skill level is a skilled work permit so the employer is responsible for absolutely nothing.

Workers comp is a mandatory insurance the employer has to pay into. If you have an accident at work, they will pay you your lost wages and other compensation. You can read about them here: http://www.rhdcc-hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/labour/workers_compensation/index.shtml

If you don't need a visa to enter Canada, then you are visa exempt. In that case, if you get a new LMO, you can drive to the US border, go to the US side and come back to Canada and apply for your new work permit at the border. You just need your LMO and $150 for the work permit. You would get it right away. You do not even need a US visa because you do not need to enter the US, you can tell them you are there to return back to Canada to apply for your work permit and they will turn you around. Fast and easy.

I know all these things because I have no hobbies and spend way too much time on this forum.

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Hi Again, You really are spending a lot of time here, You wrote a response just 6 minutes afeter my post. I think You can name that a hobby, but besides just sitting here, on forum and writing posts, You really are helping people, and that's really great.

Also great were answers that You gave me, it's a very good news for me, that I will be the same kind of worker like any one else, and that there are no any kind of responsibilities, that is really rising my chances. And about the job change, with positive LMO I cross the Canadian border and go back to apply for new work permit, right ?

Thank You again for help

Leon

VIP Member
Jun 13, 2008
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, if you have a positive LMO, you cross the border to the US side. If you have a US visa or if you don't need one, you can go to the US and spend some time. Otherwise you can tell the US border guards that you do not want to enter, turn around to the Canadian side and get your work permit when you arrive back in Canada.

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Anyone know some goverment/official page that will confirm that employer is not responsible for anything when hiring B skill level worker ? Thanks !

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

DariuszPoland said:
Anyone know some goverment/official page that will confirm that employer is not responsible for anything when hiring B skill level worker ? Thanks !
As you can see here: http://www.hrsdc.gc.ca/eng/workplaceskills/foreign_workers/lowskill.shtml Only Noc C & D receive certain benefits.

DariuszPoland

Oct 16, 2010
Poland
Visa Office......
Poland Warsaw
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
Yes, thank You for that link, but, I'm not sure will it be good enough, it says about C and D, but nothing about B skill level, or at least I couldn't find it there, of course i'm still grateful for replaying.

PMM

VIP Member
Jun 30, 2005
Hi

DariuszPoland said:
Yes, thank You for that link, but, I'm not sure will it be good enough, it says about C and D, but nothing about B skill level, or at least I couldn't find it there, of course i'm still grateful for replaying.
If it covered A,B and O it would say so. As it only covers C&D then it doesn't apply to A,B or O.