+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing to another college

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
If I have already applied for a study Visa for a Vancouver college before the Visa is fully approved, can I change to a Toronto college for which I now have an offer? My Visa has passed stage 1 so I can home study until April 2021 but it's not fully granted yet. Can I just upload my Toronto offer and add to my letter of explanation that I now wish to go to the Toronto college?

Thank you for any assistance.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I believe the stage 1 approval can be rescinded if you change schools do check the rules carefully. But sending webform is the appropriate way.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
I believe the stage 1 approval can be rescinded if you change schools do check the rules carefully. But sending webform is the appropriate way.
I spoke to an immigration consultant. She said do not change it as it can cause a problem, she said I have to get it approved for the original college then do a transfer. Or cancel it and start again but risk not getting stage 1 approval in time for my start date in January 23rd.

However I did speak to a UoT student who had a friend who did the web form and changed within 7 days and just had to upload a new offer so.....its all confusing!

bongoman

VIP Member
Dec 3, 2014
I spoke to an immigration consultant. She said do not change it as it can cause a problem, she said I have to get it approved for the original college then do a transfer. Or cancel it and start again but risk not getting stage 1 approval in time for my start date in January 23rd.

However I did speak to a UoT student who had a friend who did the web form and changed within 7 days and just had to upload a new offer so.....its all confusing!
Basically they have the right to reconsider your first stage approval if you change schools, doesn't mean they will but they could.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Basically they have the right to reconsider your first stage approval if you change schools, doesn't mean they will but they could.
Ah right I got you....makes sense!
I guess they'll tell me that in reply to the web form, hopefully they dont bot reply me and just link me to some useless Information

primaprime

VIP Member
Apr 6, 2019
Really, given several posts about people being refused on eligibility grounds after receiving AIP, they have the right to reconsider stage 1 approval for any applicant, at any time.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Really, given several posts about people being refused on eligibility grounds after receiving AIP, they have the right to reconsider stage 1 approval for any applicant, at any time.
Perhaps so, maybe this is where it's the individual immigration officer decision and they have that discretion. If the answer on the web firm is negative, I'll cancel the Visa and start a new application. Stage 1 should be approved before the 26th of January.

However I will be very unlikely to go due to covid. It may be April or longer, and I dont need a study permit to start the program online I assume? So I may have longer to pass stage 1.

Addzz120

Star Member
Feb 28, 2019
Solved this now.

Applications for a study permit before 15th September = two stage approval.
Applications after 15th = no 2 stage approval and ok to study at home for courses starting in January up to April .