+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

changing the level and length of study

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
Dear friends, this question was asked by me before too and got many valuable replies with links to official CIC website. I have learnt a lot from this forum and am thankful to everyone who replied. But pl bear with me and answer my questions (may be I am asking the same thing again).

I went thro' the website and it is very clearly mentioned that one change the college/course etc after reaching Canada. I dont have any doubt reg this as long as the level and length of study remains the same. But,

1. Can we change the level of study? From PG to Masters?
2. Can we change the length of study ? from 1 yr to 2 yrs?

Suppose I enter Canada with a visa for 1 yr PG and naturally the study permit will be given for 1 yr and I change to a 2 yr master program and will apply for an extension for the study permit for another year, are there chances of being rejected? Because The VO would have assessed my case for a PG only. In that case, I will be left with nothing. No PG or masters and come back half way thro' after finishing 1 yr of study. Have u heard of any such incidents before?

Look forward to your replies. Thanks in advance

jaspriet

Star Member
Apr 9, 2013
hellolondon said:
Dear friends, this question was asked by me before too and got many valuable replies with links to official CIC website. I have learnt a lot from this forum and am thankful to everyone who replied. But pl bear with me and answer my questions (may be I am asking the same thing again).

I went thro' the website and it is very clearly mentioned that one change the college/course etc after reaching Canada. I dont have any doubt reg this as long as the level and length of study remains the same. But,

1. Can we change the level of study? From PG to Masters?
2. Can we change the length of study ? from 1 yr to 2 yrs?

Suppose I enter Canada with a visa for 1 yr PG and naturally the study permit will be given for 1 yr and I change to a 2 yr master program and will apply for an extension for the study permit for another year, are there chances of being rejected? Because The VO would have assessed my case for a PG only. In that case, I will be left with nothing. No PG or masters and come back half way thro' after finishing 1 yr of study. Have u heard of any such incidents before?

Look forward to your replies. Thanks in advance
Yes you can change the level of study form diploma to Masters.A fees around CAD 500 will be charged by your current college.
It is mentioned on CIC website ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15 )

And u can definitely extend your visa for the second year of ur studies.You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.And it wont get rejected.*It is mentioned on CIC website( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-extend.asp )

But if u haven't applied for visa yet Then u should directly go for Masters because chances of visa approval are higher for Masters as compared to PG diplomas.

hellolondon

Star Member
Oct 7, 2013
jaspriet said:
Yes you can change the level of study form diploma to Masters.A fees around CAD 500 will be charged by your current college.
It is mentioned on CIC website ( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/helpcentre/answer.asp?q=487&t=15 )

And u can definitely extend your visa for the second year of ur studies.You should apply for renewal at least 30 days before your current permit expires.And it wont get rejected.*It is mentioned on CIC website( http://www.cic.gc.ca/english/study/study-extend.asp )
a
But if u haven't applied for visa yet Then u should directly go for Masters because chances of visa approval are higher for Masters as compared to PG diplomas.
yes, it is quoted that we can change the level of study. Thanks for the link. I had gone thro' that link before too but somehow missed out on that part. I am relieved now. Only hope that they will extend the study permit. BTW, I have got visa for 1 yr PG and am expecting an offer from a univ next month. Let me see if I will be granted admission or not. Thanks again.