+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing sx-1 to s1 in Canada?

Danimej

Dec 6, 2019
Hi! I was accepted to study my master in Montreal, but as the CAQ took so much time, now I only have 4 weeks to apply for the permit, and that’s not enough to start on time. I did an university exchange in Toronto 2 years ago and so I have a sx1 visa valid until 2023. Therefore, could I apply with that visa for a study permit within Canada? So i can start in time?
I read on the website they let exchange students do that. But idk if I apply since it was 2 years ago... help PLEASE!

selvakk

Champion Member
Nov 28, 2018
Hi! I was accepted to study my master in Montreal, but as the CAQ took so much time, now I only have 4 weeks to apply for the permit, and that’s not enough to start on time. I did an university exchange in Toronto 2 years ago and so I have a sx1 visa valid until 2023. Therefore, could I apply with that visa for a study permit within Canada? So i can start in time?
I read on the website they let exchange students do that. But idk if I apply since it was 2 years ago... help PLEASE!
You have a valid visa, you don't have a valid study permit. You need a study permit to study. The SX designation on your visa is just for administrative purposes, it won't allow you to study in Canada. Usually they will give you a fresh visa when your study permit application is successful.

Danimej

Dec 6, 2019
Yes, of course! But, do you know if I could apply from inside of Canada instead of having to go to my country just so I can start on time? I only mentioned my type of visa cause I know that there are some people who are allowed to do that, like exchange students, but I don’t know if I apply :(

canuck_in_uk

VIP Member
May 4, 2012
Visa Office......
London
App. Filed.......
06/12
Yes, of course! But, do you know if I could apply from inside of Canada instead of having to go to my country just so I can start on time? I only mentioned my type of visa cause I know that there are some people who are allowed to do that, like exchange students, but I don’t know if I apply :(
No, you can't apply within Canada. If your study permit is not approved in time, you will have to defer your studies.