+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Study Destination from Australia to Canada

MB2610

Apr 25, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently an International student studying offshore(India) from an Australian University. I started my Masters in Feb 2021 hoping that I will get allowed to come to Australia soon, but the Government had different plans. The Government does not plan to allow entry of foreign nationals until enough people in the country gets vaccinated and seeing the current rate, that could be well into 2022. I'm not interested in doing more than half of my degree paying high fees for online lectures, I already have an approved Australian student visa. I am thinking to switch to Canada and need an opinion to see if my case is possible or not.

My Profile:
Bachelors: B.E in Computer Engineering(2015-2019)
Job: Business Analyst in an IT Firm(Jan 2019 - Nov 2020)
IELTS: 8(9R, 8.5L, 7W, 7.5S)
Current Study: Masters in Information Technology( Feb 2021 - ). Thinking to withdraw after 1st Sem completion(July 2021).

I'm thinking to Apply for colleges in the Jan 2022 intake, once I receive the offer letters I will withdraw from my current Masters and Apply for a Canadian Study Permit.

I would like to know your opinion as to whether I will get a Study Permit or not? Or what steps I should take to ensure that I don't get a refusal.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Hello,

I'm currently an International student studying offshore(India) from an Australian University. I started my Masters in Feb 2021 hoping that I will get allowed to come to Australia soon, but the Government had different plans. The Government does not plan to allow entry of foreign nationals until enough people in the country gets vaccinated and seeing the current rate, that could be well into 2022. I'm not interested in doing more than half of my degree paying high fees for online lectures, I already have an approved Australian student visa. I am thinking to switch to Canada and need an opinion to see if my case is possible or not.

My Profile:
Bachelors: B.E in Computer Engineering(2015-2019)
Job: Business Analyst in an IT Firm(Jan 2019 - Nov 2020)
IELTS: 8(9R, 8.5L, 7W, 7.5S)
Current Study: Masters in Information Technology( Feb 2021 - ). Thinking to withdraw after 1st Sem completion(July 2021).

I'm thinking to Apply for colleges in the Jan 2022 intake, once I receive the offer letters I will withdraw from my current Masters and Apply for a Canadian Study Permit.

I would like to know your opinion as to whether I will get a Study Permit or not? Or what steps I should take to ensure that I don't get a refusal.
That will raise question with Visa officer on whether you will complete your studies in Canada after withdraw from AU and return back to your home country. Unfortunately no one can tell you steps not to get refusal. On separate note as projected AU will complete vaccinating its population by 2022, then why do you want to start all over again same year 2022?

Reactions: MB2610

MB2610

Apr 25, 2021
That will raise question with Visa officer on whether you will complete your studies in Canada after withdraw from AU and return back to your home country. Unfortunately no one can tell you steps not to get refusal. On separate note as projected AU will complete vaccinating its population by 2022, then why do you want to start all over again same year 2022?
The issue with my current study is that, I'm paying a lot of fees for studying online. As I'm studying online, I'm only studying 2 subjects per semester instead of the usual 4 subjects per sem. If I study 3 Sems online( Sem1 2021, Sem2 2021 & Sem1 2022) then my course length will increase from 2 Years to 3 Years. So if I continue my current study I'll be graduating in 2023 End instead of 2022 End.

Even if I start my study in Canada in Jan 2022, I would graduate atleast 2-3 months sooner than my current scenario stated above, all while receiving onshore education instead of online classes.

I know it would be hard to convince a Visa Officer but I feel my reasons are genuine, being able to go to different country to study and collaborate with people of different cultures is a huge part in the experience of studying abroad. In online studies, I'm either struggling to collaborate with people due to time zone differences or I'm in a group with all the people from my country. I would need a strong SOP to convince them.

I know there are no steps to not get a refusal but any tips from your experience will be appreciated.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
The issue with my current study is that, I'm paying a lot of fees for studying online. As I'm studying online, I'm only studying 2 subjects per semester instead of the usual 4 subjects per sem. If I study 3 Sems online( Sem1 2021, Sem2 2021 & Sem1 2022) then my course length will increase from 2 Years to 3 Years. So if I continue my current study I'll be graduating in 2023 End instead of 2022 End.

Even if I start my study in Canada in Jan 2022, I would graduate atleast 2-3 months sooner than my current scenario stated above, all while receiving onshore education instead of online classes.

I know it would be hard to convince a Visa Officer but I feel my reasons are genuine, being able to go to different country to study and collaborate with people of different cultures is a huge part in the experience of studying abroad. In online studies, I'm either struggling to collaborate with people due to time zone differences or I'm in a group with all the people from my country. I would need a strong SOP to convince them.

I know there are no steps to not get a refusal but any tips from your experience will be appreciated.
For typical Msc full time program, you will complete after 24months of full time. If you start in 2022, you are looking at 2024, and your projection is to complete by 2023 if continuing with 3 course load per semester. Again you justified on tuition fee you are paying and speculating Governement decision not to allow foreigners to AU, incase they allow by fall will this change your mind? You still have to convince VO and why Canada

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Why would OP have to explain or mention he has a Australian study permit? It's not needed, hes applying for the first time under SDS?

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Im in the same situation, already lodged my visa without mentioning all of this, please help? What do I do now

MB2610

Apr 25, 2021
For typical Msc full time program, you will complete after 24months of full time. If you start in 2022, you are looking at 2024, and your projection is to complete by 2023 if continuing with 3 course load per semester. Again you justified on tuition fee you are paying and speculating Governement decision not to allow foreigners to AU, incase they allow by fall will this change your mind? You still have to convince VO and why Canada
Most of the masters won't exactly be 24 Months. In Australia, typical study starts from Feb and the second sem ends by Nov or Dec. I'm thinking to go to a College and do a Grad Certificate in Canada. Canada generally has 3 Sems and Most 2 Year College programs only do 2 Sems per year, so I'll be free in 2023 if I start Canada in Jan 2022.

As for the AU government decision, they have botched their vaccination drive and experts estimate it will take atleast until 2022 second half to fully vaccinate the population even if they increase their pace. People are literally scared of Corona cases there, whole cities are being locked down due to a single case. Opening up means they will get cases. There is no way that they will open up to my country(India) which currently has 350,000 daily cases.

MB2610

Apr 25, 2021
Why would OP have to explain or mention he has a Australian study permit? It's not needed, hes applying for the first time under SDS?
Countries talk man. They will check if I have any visa for another country during the background checks. Better to say the truth than hide it. I have a 2 year experience in the domain for which I'm trying to study, If I have a genuine reason to switch there is no way that I will get rejected if my application is rightly submitted.

MB2610

Apr 25, 2021
Im in the same situation, already lodged my visa without mentioning all of this, please help? What do I do now
If the review of your application hasn't started yet, maybe you can add these details.

Can message you if you alright with it? I would like to know how did you go ahead with the switch.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Most of the masters won't exactly be 24 Months. In Australia, typical study starts from Feb and the second sem ends by Nov or Dec. I'm thinking to go to a College and do a Grad Certificate in Canada. Canada generally has 3 Sems and Most 2 Year College programs only do 2 Sems per year, so I'll be free in 2023 if I start Canada in Jan 2022.

As for the AU government decision, they have botched their vaccination drive and experts estimate it will take atleast until 2022 second half to fully vaccinate the population even if they increase their pace. People are literally scared of Corona cases there, whole cities are being locked down due to a single case. Opening up means they will get cases. There is no way that they will open up to my country(India) which currently has 350,000 daily cases.
If i understand you, you just started Masters Degree in IT in Australia and want to drop program and apply for Grad Certificate in Canada, I am curious to know how will you convince VO to give you approval keeping in mind that the two countries share immigration records

Reactions: Impatient Dankaroo

Impatient Dankaroo

VIP Member
Jan 10, 2020
If i understand you, you just started Masters Degree in IT in Australia and want to drop program and apply for Grad Certificate in Canada, I am curious to know how will you convince VO to give you approval keeping in mind that the two countries share immigration records
Exactly. What is OP's strategy in explaining why they are 1) leaving their Master's program midway to pursue a program in another country when the quality of Australian education is on a similar level 2) Going from a higher-level program to a graduate certificate.

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
Exactly. What is OP's strategy in explaining why they are 1) leaving their Master's program midway to pursue a program in another country when the quality of Australian education is on a similar level 2) Going from a higher-level program to a graduate certificate.
Same situation, I want to do this because Australia isn't opening it's borders anytime soon. It's not feasible for students to study online and pay so much. It's of no use.

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Same situation, I want to do this because Australia isn't opening it's borders anytime soon. It's not feasible for students to study online and pay so much. It's of no use.
I fail to understand what is not feasible about attending virtual learning?

life2525

Star Member
Jan 16, 2021
I fail to understand what is not feasible about attending virtual learning?
Paying thousands of dollars to study a pdf when you aren't earning in dollars isn't easy. There are no labs, nothing. If students wanted to study online they could do the same by buying $10 online courses instead of paying like $100k

Simba112

VIP Member
Mar 25, 2021
Paying thousands of dollars to study a pdf when you aren't earning in dollars isn't easy. There are no labs, nothing. If students wanted to study online they could do the same by buying $10 online courses instead of paying like $100k
And you will hardly earn even 15k a yr doing 20hrs part time if your point is to earn dollars. You will loose more money as cost of living than earning if you were here...

fyi most students here in Canada are doing virtual learning, it has become normal and access online library...and unfortunately VO are aware of these situation.