+1(514) 937-9445 or Toll-free (Canada & US) +1 (888) 947-9445

Changing Schools In Canada

May 16, 2024
Hello Everyone,

Quick question please, my visa got accepted to Humber college, but I want to study at algonquin so I can be with my sister. If I inform the IRCC of this change when classes begin do I need to wait for their response or move to algonquin as soon as I submit this change, without waiting for a response, this is important so that I can be eligible for a refund of my tuition fees, which is valid till 10 days after classes begin.

Thank you for your time.

YVR123

VIP Member
Jul 27, 2017
Hello Everyone,

Quick question please, my visa got accepted to Humber college, but I want to study at algonquin so I can be with my sister. If I inform the IRCC of this change when classes begin do I need to wait for their response or move to algonquin as soon as I submit this change, without waiting for a response, this is important so that I can be eligible for a refund of my tuition fees, which is valid till 10 days after classes begin.

Thank you for your time.
If you want to be with your sister, then you need to apply for a NEW study permit at a school in algoquin.

Your current study permit only allow you to study at Humber college. You could study there for 1 semester and then after all is completed, you can then apply to change school.

btw you posted at the wrong section. Similar questions have been answered multiple times in the international students section.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for your time.
You need a new study permit to switch schools. Otherwise not possible since you haven't completed at least one semester at your original school.

Ashwin#

Dec 12, 2019
Hi Scylla,
Please can u give your input on this-

Here is my timeline and reasons for not completing two courses from different colleges.

Time line - Study visa Feb 2020 for International business management 4 semester from St.Clair college Windsor, May 20 Intake.
- Did one semester online from India, second in Canada and was not able to do remaining two semesters.
- Took second course at Centennial college for two semesters, could not clear two subjects of last semester.
- Came back to India, 2022 August, Working as a sales manager since.
- Now planning to do MBA from UCW Vancouver, Ielts 7 overall I have got in hand.
- Funds and Documents ready, consulting IDP at present, please can anyone suggest me what should take care going forward and how strong is my case and chances of refusal.
P.S. I have graduated in 2016 and having 7 years experience, age 30 running.

scylla

VIP Member
Jun 8, 2010
Toronto
Category........
Visa Office......
Buffalo
Job Offer........
Pre-Assessed..
App. Filed.......
28-05-2010
AOR Received.
19-08-2010
File Transfer...
28-06-2010
Passport Req..
01-10-2010
VISA ISSUED...
05-10-2010
LANDED..........
05-10-2010
Hi Scylla,
Please can u give your input on this-

Here is my timeline and reasons for not completing two courses from different colleges.

Time line - Study visa Feb 2020 for International business management 4 semester from St.Clair college Windsor, May 20 Intake.
- Did one semester online from India, second in Canada and was not able to do remaining two semesters.
- Took second course at Centennial college for two semesters, could not clear two subjects of last semester.
- Came back to India, 2022 August, Working as a sales manager since.
- Now planning to do MBA from UCW Vancouver, Ielts 7 overall I have got in hand.
- Funds and Documents ready, consulting IDP at present, please can anyone suggest me what should take care going forward and how strong is my case and chances of refusal.
P.S. I have graduated in 2016 and having 7 years experience, age 30 running.
You will want to include an LOE. You previously attempted to complete two lower levels of study in Canada and were unsuccessful. What has changed? Why will you be successful now? How does the MBA align to your career? Why does it make sense for you to travel all the way to Canada to complete this education understanding the university you have selected is a lower tier university?

Reactions: canuck78

canuck78

VIP Member
Jun 18, 2017
Would add it is not clear what will become of schools like UCW since I can only imagine they will accept a large number of masters students after PAL system. Province knows it is just a magnet for international students

Reactions: Naturgrl

Naturgrl

VIP Member
Apr 5, 2020
Would add it is not clear what will become of schools like UCW since I can only imagine they will accept a large number of masters students after PAL system. Province knows it is just a magnet for international students
There have been many posts on student who have gained admission to MBA at UCW and IRCC is asking for PAL. Masters programs are exempt from PAL but maybe IRCC doesn’t believe that UCW is of a high enough standard for exemption.